GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 98 K2500 Sub - vibrates when braking - wheels or brake issue?

I bought a 98 k2500 sub that needed new tires. So I put on new tires and afterwards the truck started to shake when braking. Since I had the tires put on just after I had bought the truck, I couldn't confirm if the problem persisted before I had bought the truck because it only happens at high speeds and if I brake check for a second and come back to the brakes, there is no problem.

Could this be an issue related to hub centric rims vs. lug centric rims? if so, how can I tell if my rims are appropriate for the vehicle? The pads and the rotors look good. There is this extra metal sleeve (1") that is on the exterior of the disc positioned on the hub. Is that piece factory or aftermarket?

I looked in my manual and did some research and I am still having problems. Any help, advice, or information would be greatly appreciated. I tow a boat with it and drive on the freeways a lot and I LOVE to be able to brake when needed. I don't like that I have to be so prepared to brake in time.

Thanks!
    1998 Chevy Suburban 2500 4X4 5.7l

If it is only happening when you are braking its going to be that your front rotors are warped. If its just doing it at high speeds that is just the start and will progressively get worse. You will need to check the rotor thickness to see it you can have them resurfaced or just replace them.