GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Magnaflow Fan

I got my truck straight piped about 4 months ago and I wasn't quite sure how it would sound on a 4.8. It was pretty annoying especially since I had it turned down before the rear axle which made the drone 3 times worse. I'm going on vacation next week and I knew listening to that drone for 8 hours was gonna drive me crazy. I stopped by my local exhaust shop and asked if I wanted to try a magnaflow. I was a little hesitant about it, but I went with it anyway. I knew flowmaster had some amount of drone. I love it, it has a nice some what loud rumble without any drone. I was suprised by the lack of drone it has compared to the flowmaster. It has a perfect tone for my 4.8 chevy and I couldn't be happier. I believe it is either the 12288 or the 12588 not quite sure, but it is definitely worth it for anyone who is unsure which muffler to go with.
    Year/Make/Model: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    Powertrain: 4.8L V8, Automatic, 2wd
    Tires/Rims: Stock rims and tires for now
    Top 5 Mods: Straight piped exhaust, Billet Grille, Color-matched bowtie/shaved moldings, 12K HID's, Two 12" Kickers with a 1,000 watt amp
    Next Planned mods: Truxxx Leveling Kit, Nitto Trail Grapplers, 15% Window Tint

Nice. I work at a shop and we have a guy that has been doing custom exhaust for 25 years so i have heard a lot of different systems on these trucks but have yet to experience the 4.8 with the magnaflow. Good to hear you like it

Finding a good exhaust system for a 4.8 is quite a dilemma because something on a 5.3 might sound really good ,but really bad on a 4.8.

Yeah i know what you mean. Most of the trucks we get in have the 5.3 or 6.0 and they are a lot different. The only 4.8 i can think of was an older guy that brought in a brand new truck right after he bought it and had a 70 series flowmaster installed. He just wanted more rumble. Didnt make a difference at idle but a bit louder with much better sound driving it down the road

I really appreciate your post. The sound has been my biggest dilema when looking at the different exhausts. They all have something I like better than others. I need to just bite the bullet and get it done.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

If the drone is your only dilemma I would definitely recommend a magnaflow. I think the part number for the one I got was 12588, but I found the 12288 online and it has more rumble to it and slightly more drone which you only hear when your in the higher rpm's.