GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Replacing front CV's 1994 Suburban

I am getting ready to replace the CV's on our 94 Suburban.I have not found any threads that involve this,what else should I be looking at when I have her apart ? This is a new vehicle to me,it has 190000 mi. on body.What else should be replaced/checked when it is apart? Thanks for all help.
    Marc

I am not positive, but if they are anything like the 02 suburban's it is pretty strait forward. There are a bunch of bolts holding the shaft to the flange on the transfercase. (I think around 10). Then the big nut that goes thru the wheel hub.(You can rent the socket at Autozone for free) Putting the t-case in 4 hi might help you break the nut loose. You should be able to get them out without taking anything else off except for loosening the front sway bar links. You can always check out your ball joints and control arm bushings, (grab the tire one hand on top one on bottom and try to wiggle it, there should be no movement). Then check out the tierod ends, pitman and idler arms (grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and move back and forth, if you have movement have someone else wiggle it while you locate the issue).

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

You might want to look at replacing your wheel hub/unit bearings. They have to come off anyway.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonduff View Post
    You might want to look at replacing your wheel hub/unit bearings. They have to come off anyway.
    I don't think that they have to come off for the shaft replacement! I have done my 03 and 95 and never had to remove them. You might have to move a tie rod end in a vary rare case. Sure you have to take the nut off the shaft, But completely removing the wheel hub assembly would be a waste of time in my opinion. Sure it is only 3 more bolts, but sometimes they can be a real pain to get off after you pull the bolt. I had spent three hours trying to beat one out that was corroded into the bore. At that point if you are going to beat them out you better replace them.

you will need a 36mm socket for the cv nuts, remove either top or bottom shock mount before you start. replace the sway bar link bushings while your there. use a rubber mallet to remove the cv's. make sure you use a medium grade loc-tite for the inner cv bolts. the upper ball joint needs to be disconnected to do this. it would be a good idea to get a new ball joint to reinstall. use only Moog parts if you can. either way do not use china parts. the suburban is to heavy and the china parts will break fast. make sure that the new cv's have the anti-lock mag pick up ring installed, do not try to transfer those from the old cv's to the new cv's. check all other joints in the area and its likely you will also need new tie-rod ends.
    Last edited by mudpuppy; 04-03-2012 at 12:21 AM.
    94 sub 6inch lift 34inch bfg mt. massive rework project soon. the audio system hit 150.3db so now its time to rebuild and try for 155db. mudpuppy is also getting a new engine, rebuilt ifs, dual 500amp 15.1vdc alts, 5 5,000amp batts, ant the combined wattage with the new system should be close to 15,000watts. this is going to be a wild ride boy and girls.

Thanks to all for your input.I replaced both sides yesterday in about three hours,all other joint's etc checked out in good shape .. Thanks again for your help.

Marc