GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default new headers and exhaust, need tune?

i just bought new headers, exhaust, and an intake for my 2008 chevy silverado 4.8L, will i need to get the truck tuned after these upgrades or will it be fine? and if so, whats the easiest way to tune.

Define "fine". It'll be fine driving around, but you won't get everything out of the trucks and the mods without a tune. I'd look at either blackbear or diablo. They're both sponsors of this site and while I see different members tout either one, I've not heard negatives of either. Look down at the bottom of the main forum page for the sponsors and you should be able to find them both there.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

tuning isn't really necessary.. thats what MAP, MAF, and O2 sensors are for.. they will adjust your needed fuel/air as needed. a tune wouldn't hurt, but adding a pug-n-play tuner to me isnt necessarily tuning.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Headers won't change your engine so much that you need special tuning. The change in power is not as much as the manufacturers would lead you to believe.

I had a special system installed on one of my motorcycles and the manufacturer tech advisor (Vance and Hines) told me I would have noticeably more torque and horsepower. It turned out that when they put it on the dyno, the horsepower and torque went DOWN. We tried a bunch of things but ended up putting the stock system back on, and the HP and torque readings were dead on with what the manufacturer said they were.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

From the factory they restrict the trucks. This is mostly done in the ECM. A way to free that restriction is by a tuner. I just recently purchased a Diablow inTune. I have not yet had a chance for Lew to install a custom tune. I would agree with a previous post saying a plug-n-play tuner is not a custom tune, but Lew will make a custom tune for you if you buy from him. The other thing about the custom tune is it can be redone after mods to your motor/truck. For about $400 you will can some mpg's. Yes I know we drive bricks but with gas price's being what they are today every little bit helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy09LTZCrew View Post
    Define "fine". It'll be fine driving around, but you won't get everything out of the trucks and the mods without a tune. I'd look at either blackbear or diablo. They're both sponsors of this site and while I see different members tout either one, I've not heard negatives of either. Look down at the bottom of the main forum page for the sponsors and you should be able to find them both there.
    what i meant by fine, was if there would be any worries about damaging the engine, ill try a plug-and-play and see what i get out of it, thanks for all the help guys