GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Have you checked the fuel filter? You could have the pressure build up and show good on the gauge, but not have the flow when you first take off. When was the last time it was tuned up? plugs, wires? Did the problem start right after the intake manifold gasket was changed? If so then it may be sucking air. You can test that by spraying carb cleaner around the edges while it is idling, if the rpms go up then you found your leak. Also I would check the TB gasket with the same method.
    No this didn't start right after the gasket was replaced, that was late fall and this problem came about a month or so ago.
    but I will try what you said while I'm at it good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat10 View Post
    I'm gonna look at the filter tomorrow, and as for tb ad injectors I've never cleaned them myself but I have run 2 Bottles of techtron through the tank...

The tank additives will only help a bit. I would notice a little improvement on my truck when I did tank additives. The big difference came when I changed my fuel filter and used a can of carb cleaner and a toothbrush down the throttle body. Not the best way to clean it, but it was quick.
    I like you.

I changed the fuel filter and spark plugs. Now its got some get up! Guess it was just time for a tune....

Don't stop there. Depending on mileage and previous maintenance, you could probably use a new dist cap & rotor, rear diff fluid change, trans fluid & filter change... and, as mentioned by several people above, a good cleaning of the TB and injectors. My 180k mile burb went from feeling like a 4 cylinder to a supercharged v-12 after all the maintenance!

Try cleaning your MAF sensor, I had the same problem with my 99 suburban and once cleaned it went away.

I second the cap and rotor. I had issues when I first bought my 99 burb and when I pulled the cap it was a mess in there. Made a huge difference!
    Good luck and happy whomping down the road.
    Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71
    5.3 Liter
    4X4

Quote Originally Posted by Quikfire View Post
    I second the cap and rotor. I had issues when I first bought my 99 burb and when I pulled the cap it was a mess in there. Made a huge difference!
    Good luck and happy whomping down the road.

Really, any/every tune-up piece should be done on a 12 year old car with over 100k miles. My cap and rotor looked horrible, my plugs looked terrible, the plug wires weren't great, my fuel filter needed replacing, my injectors needed some cleaning, etc... The truck runs much better, but it needed several weekends in the driveway with me turning a few wrenches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12