GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Angry I can't shift from Park! Please Help!

I have a 1999 GMC Suburban C1500 and I just finished fixing the brakes. I replaced the front pads and have a new brake booster now. I ended up having to take it to a mechanic to bleed the brakes properly cause I couldn't seem to get it. So now I can't shift outta park and I don't know why! Any ideas?

Please, I am not trying to be smart. recently, helped someone get their truck out of park. I steped on the brake, started the engine and it want into drive.

Thanks. I know that. I didn't think I'd have to specify that I know that. Thanks though. I know that there are people that freak out and forget to do that.

you replaced the booster then took it to the shop? so it shifted out of park before going to the shop?

Mud Truck
    1984 Chevy K5 Blazer
    -454 Edelbrock V8
    -33" BFG Mud Tires

Daily Driver
    2006 Chevy Silverado K1500 LT Z71 - 5.3 V8
    -Bull Bar
    -Step Bars
    -Flowmaster 40 with dual tailpipes
    -Smoked Tails

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Temper monkey we have a 95 2500 here, that we push snow with in the winter... we have had the exact problem and others with shifting at different times over the years, it has always been the linkage tweaks that has fixed it for us and we still run the truck today... Now i know you didn't push any snow, and we figure that was the cause of our grief,, but maybe some how over the time and the wearing of your brakes before replacement some linkage or brackets were fudged out of alinement....worth a quick check.... hope this helps

My first guess (subject to the response to blazer454's question) is that, while working around the brake pedal, you must have done something to the mechanism that locks the shifter if the brake isn't pressed. I haven't ever been under there, so I'm not exactly sure what that mechanism looks like, but that's the direction I'd be looking.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Legend

Blog Entries

I would check the brake switch that is located under thae dash and is activated by the brake pedal. The brake pedal must be press in order to let the truck be shifted out of park. If this switch is bad, unplugged or out of alignment it will not send a signal to allow the lock to release the shifter. You make have broke it when pumping the brakes or the actual pedal isn't going down far enough.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Thanks for all your help! The truck is fixed. We checked the brake sensor and it needed adjusting. We managed to get our braking problem and shifting problem all resolved! And yes we couldn't figure out y we still had issues after replacing the booster. Also the truck shifted fine before we took it to the shop to get the brake fluid flushed and bled the brakes. It turns out that the truck needed a brake booster and a master cylinder. We also changed the front brake pads and the bleeder valves as they were stripped...After 2 days of frustration all is done!!

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Whoot nothing like winning,,,, and when you solve those little glitches you win!!!!!! good job!!