GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 4l80e drain plug and filter

So my 4l80e has a drain plug on it (GM love the stupid T55 Torx that just strip out). Well it wont budge. I am planning on eventually taking off the pan to switch out the filter (question on that in a minute), but wasnt going to do it right now. I was going to drain and fill (about 8qts) drive for a little then repeat at that point giving it about a 75-80% new fluid (even though 16 quarts had been put in) since it is mixing with the old fluid that is in the torque converter. On the second time is when I was going to switch out the filter. I did some penetrating oil and heated it some, didnt want to do too much as I dont want to mess up the aluminum (i think) pan. I am going to try and use an impact gun slowly increasing the torque as I can adjust my gun, but once again dont want to mess up the pan.

As far as the filter. what do you all recommend. they have the basic kits with filter and cork gasket. found one that is premium filter and a coated metal (oe style) gasket at about $70 or just the filter with gasket maker. Do some of you just swap out filter and use gasket maker or just buy the cheap gasket. Looking for what seems to be the best for not having a leak afterwards but if just a gasket is leak proof enough that is a little cleaner.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I've always used a gasket with no sealer just a little Permatex High Tack to help keep the gasket in place while I bolt up the pan. The key to no leaks is to make sure the pan flange is perfectly flat and don't overtighten the bolts which can squeeze out the gasket.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Thanks. I had no luck getting the drain plug off even with an impact gun so looks like I will be dropping the pan. I was hoping to not have to do it twice but thats life.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    NRA Life Member

So I ended up dropping the pan and changing out the filter today. when i had the pan off I figured I would do the penetrating oil on the threads from the in side. Heated it up and all I ended up doing was completely stripping out the torqx socket on the drain plug. So looks like using the drain in the future aint gonna happen either.
    David
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    NRA Life Member

So for those with the 4l80e how much do you usually refill after a filter change. the Haynes manual says 7.7 qts but that is more than came out. I captured 4qts and spilled some but probably no more than a quart or so. definately not almost another 4. I am starting with 4 quarts and will add from there just wanted to see what the typical amount was.
    David
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    NRA Life Member

to bad you stripped it, i was gonna suggest getting a torx into the plug, then pounding (lightly) on the plug. hammering on it towards the pan might have broken it loose. to late now, something to think about in the future.

a trick i picked up working on the farm. not sure why it works, but it can help. heat and penatration oil usually are enough, but this is something else you can do.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Thanks. Ive used that method in the past on something else. Forgot about it here.
    David
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    NRA Life Member