GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Alarm trouble Help please

Okay, I have a compu Star alarm system in my truck and it is about a year old. It has worked pretty well up until now. Now it is going off for no reason so I can't even use it when I need to for the fear of it going off when it shouldn't. It will even go off while sitting under the carport at night. Yesterday I was at Starbucks sitting outside having a Mocha and I could see my truck so I set the alarm before going in and while i was sitting there watching the truck it just started going off for no reason. The place i bought it from went out of business. I called a well known audio place that does alarms because I was going to get one like @SurrealOne has but they said the one I have is a good one and that they could fix it for 150.00 so I was hoping someone on here knows something about these and can help guide me to the problem so I can fix it. Thanks

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

I will go out on a limb here and say one of the sensors (body/motion) which are held inplace with two sided tape has fallen off its mount lost its stickiness and is off level.. this is the usual cause for this..... it has been a long time since i have installed or fixed any alarms though.....

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

As said above look under the dash first and look for loose mods or wires Is it beeping more then 2 times when you hit the buttons?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    As said above look under the dash first and look for loose mods or wires Is it beeping more then 2 times when you hit the buttons?
    Yes, often it does beep more than 2 times when I disarm the alarm.

Legend

Find your owners book. It will tell you whats wrong with how many beeps it does..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    Find your owners book. It will tell you whats wrong with how many beeps it does..
    Well, that would normally have been my first step but the place that installed it did not give me a book and like I said they are closed up. I have to work tomorrow but if I get a little time tomorrow I will look for a loose or unattached sensor under the dash. That makes since. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by donyms View Post
    Well, that would normally have been my first step but the place that installed it did not give me a book and like I said they are closed up. I have to work tomorrow but if I get a little time tomorrow I will look for a loose or unattached sensor under the dash. That makes since. Thank you for your help.
    When I had trouble with my viper alarm I didn't have a book either... but alarm companies usually have their owner's manuals available for PDF download online.

http://www.compustar.com/ownerscorner/usermanuals/

That might be a good start for ya bud

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Quote Originally Posted by 08_rado_rocker View Post
    When I had trouble with my viper alarm I didn't have a book either... but alarm companies usually have their owner's manuals available for PDF download online.

http://www.compustar.com/ownerscorner/usermanuals/

That might be a good start for ya bud
    Thank you so much, I got the owners manual now and it does have at least 2 sensors on it so I will check them out when I get some time. Again, thank you for all your help. You guys are the best.

Alright, just an update. I took the dash apart yesterday and found the shock sensor. It was still mounted fine so I checked the sensitivity adjustment and it was on 8. I backed it down to 5 and now my alarm doesn't go off randomly but something happened to the antenna I guess because now I have to hold the key fob right up next to the drivers door to get it to work. I suppose I will try to fix that today. Any ideas on the antenna would be appreciated.

Legend

It can be just a wire.. Look around for it and place it as far away from anything else and as high as you can. There are better ant's you can get that go on the side or top of your windshield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast