GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Default Something LARGE that cought my eye in NYC yesterday..

So I'm driving towards the Westside Hwy and the Hudson River when I see this Cruzing down the river..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigboat.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	36867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigboat2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	36868 You never get an idea how big they are till you see one like this..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Wait till you get right up next to it and then get a picture of how small one looks in comparison. Kinda like Godzilla and the Taco bell chihuahua. Hey Godzilla you want a drink.

2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

I take it you've never been to NYC during Fleet Week and visited the carriers.
    Traversing the Suez or the Panama in a Carrier really gives you an idea how big they are.
    Most carriers are banned from the Panama Canal because of their size and lack of ability to do any type manuevering during the transit, their considered to vulnerable to be a sitting target.

i was gonna say, you aint seen big, till you've seen a carrier up close and personal.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

You mean like this???? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	codepurple...jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	36875
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

When I lived in southern California I was never far from the harbor, so I used to go down there on occasion just to marvel at the freighters. It was almost comical watching the tug boats pulling on those fully loaded freighters. Since living in Washington, I've been able to see a couple carriers and destroyers at one of the Navy bases in the area and they're just impressive.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

@tbplus10, the last carrier in active service able to transit the Panama canal was the Kittyhawk. She was able to do this because the tip of the angle landing area was able to fold up. Carriers are freaking huge, I have been stationed on two of them. 1000+ ft long and 35-45 feet below the water, to 150 or so ft above the water.
    Old Show Trucks USA conversion
    Custom Paint, interior (Wood grain and leather seats) windows so dark you need a flash light to see me, stock rims, headers, dual exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by dogred View Post
    @tbplus10It, the last carrier in active service able to transit the Panama canal was the Kittyhawk. She was able to do this because the tip of the angle landing area was able to fold up. Carriers are freaking huge, I have been stationed on two of them. 1000+ ft long and 35-45 feet below the water, to 150 or so ft above the water.
    And here's s little trivia ya. You know why the tip of the angle deck could fold? It was originally part of a modification done to the flight deck to make the angle deck capable of safely handling the u.s. navy's largest carrier capable nuclear strike bombers the A-3 Skywarrior. I was stationed on the Kitty 84-86 during her 25th anniversary cruise as an A-3 crewman and 03 as a technical advisor. An awesum ship to serve on.

I was stationed on the Kittyhawk 99-02 over in Japan, she was my first ship. I worked in V-2 (ships company green shirts), on the meatball.
    Old Show Trucks USA conversion
    Custom Paint, interior (Wood grain and leather seats) windows so dark you need a flash light to see me, stock rims, headers, dual exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by dogred View Post
    I was stationed on the Kittyhawk 99-02 over in Japan, she was my first ship. I worked in V-2 (ships company green shirts), on the meatball.
    Your team kept me out of the drink on many a cold dark and stormy night. Between deployments and work-ups I logged over 300 traps and an equal amount of cat shots on that girl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast