GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 04 Silverado.. need help with left/leveling advice

I have an 04 Silverado 1500 Z71 and I bought a newer set of tires (33 inch) and my front end scrapes. I went by some coworkers advice and just turned my torsion keys up all the way. After some research, I see it's not good and my truck rides like crap. I am doing alot of work on it so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money just to get it riding smooth. Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter0413 View Post
    I have an 04 Silverado 1500 Z71 and I bought a newer set of tires (33 inch) and my front end scrapes. I went by some coworkers advice and just turned my torsion keys up all the way. After some research, I see it's not good and my truck rides like crap. I am doing alot of work on it so I don't want to spend a whole lot of money just to get it riding smooth. Any advice?
    You can always put a 3" body lift on it. They are fairly inexpensive and pretty easy to do yourself. Search around the forum I have seen a few posters recommending certain body lifts. I don't remember what brand it was. But, it came with rear bumper brackets. Also you might want to invest in some lift lips to close the gap that will show after you lift it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Blog Entries

A leveling kit is pretty cheap, relatively speaking, and is not too difficult to put on. When I had my 33s, I also had the Readylift 2 1/4" kit and was very happy with it. A good quality kit like the Readylift will probably run about $200.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Jr. Mechanic

Readylift is what i have on my truck right now and she rides just like it came from the factory. I do believe they are slightly over $200 though. Shop different sites and I'm sure you can get a decent deal.
    2010 Red Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LT
    Blacked Out
    15% Tint all around
    22" KMC Slide Series Black Chrome Rims
    305/45/22R Nitto Dune Grappler Tires
    ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    K&N CAI
    IPCW Black Halo Projector LED Headlights
    IPCW Black Third brake Light
    IPCW Black LED Taillights
    Street Scene Front Bumper Valance
    Street Scene Black Chrome Grille
    Black Bowties
    Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
    Alpine Touchscreen Headunit
    4 Kicker RS Componet Speakers
    Kicker 12" L7 subwoofer w/ Kicker ZX1500.1 Amplifier

I will look around guys. What did you mean my lift lips? i've never heard of those? and any idea on how to get the torsion bars back to their orginal position? you guys really are a ton of help. ole buddy of mine told me to join this site... great choice.

Legend

Blog Entries

I think what Pikey is referring to are items that help conceal the gaps once you install a body lift, since you are essentially separating the body from the frame. I've never used a body lift, so I am not 100% positive though (new term for me too!). Someone else will hopefully chime in soon regarding the torsion bars....my truck doesn't have the them. However, if you do end up going down the leveling kit path, I believe for your truck the kit includes new torsion bars.

Good. So in reality, my truck is or isn't riding on torsion bars? I really want a smoother ride!

Blog Entries

Your truck is on torsion bars, and I haven't heard of a leveling kit with torsion bars included. What you get is a pair of keys that you replace the stock ones with (will need an unloading tool to do so which if I remember right runs about $80) and then you can crank the torsions back to stock and it will sit a little more level, or you can crank them until they are level. You can also crank your stock torsion keys and get it level that way, however you will need to realign it and cranking the stock keys will cause some wicked angles on your ball joints and other front end components making them wear out faster. I myself have a Pro Comp kit on my truck and have had zero problems. I had it installed by my local tire shop, and it ran me a little over $250 which if I remember right was cheaper than buying the kit and the torsion bar unloading tool, or maybe it was slightly more, but don't quote me on that.

IIRC, there are only two companies that make body lifts for the Silverado: Zone Offroad and Performance Accessories. I know that Zone does have rear bumper brackets (sold separately) and I believe the PA kit does have them too, though not sure if they are included or not.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

I would so go with a leveling kit and leave those body lifts alone. The gap guards as I have heard them called hide the gap as mfleetwood said. Body lifts have a place and a use but in my opinion this isn't one of em.

Agreed with the leveling approach. There are a lot of users on this site that have leveled their rigs and seem really happy. And with the leveling kit, you should have no issue clearing the 33s.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by