GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Easy Tuner

Jr. Apprentice

Default Easy Tuner

Hey all I am looking for an easy tuner to basically help with gas milage. I am in an 08 Silverado and dont do much towing or off road. New job requires me to drive more than I thought when I bought the truck two years ago and $80 a tank a week is starting to hurt.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I have the SuperChips Very easy to use and with the Gas Save program I am Avg'ing 14-15 MPG With a few other things on the truck. And it's a 08 Avalanche with the 5.3. Read my sig below to see what else is on the truck
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

Blog Entries

Here is also a great thread that contains many gas saving ideas....just in case you'd like to look at more ideas than just a programmer.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...crease+mileage

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks I do most everything in the thread that I can for work. Sometimes I have a load in the truck but I am getting older to no speeding and I drive rather conservative now a days.

What what's the mpg increase on average with a super chip? I get around 20 mpg now and have a CAI in the mail right now. So I hope I can see this closer to 25 mpg.

I'm inclined to believe that expecting/hoping for a 5 mpg improvement from a non-custom tune plus a CAI .... is having unreasonably high expectations. 10-15% would be a significant improvement ... and you're expecting/hoping for 25%. To get the most out of a tune you likely need a tune customized for your truck. That'll cost you a few more clams but it'll usually pay for itself.

Legend

Blog Entries

I agree that 5 mpg more is a lot to ask from any tuner. And actually, 20 mpg your getting is really very good already. Superchips website claims a "possible 7%"; or in your case, about 1.4 mpg.

http://www.superchips.com/TheScience...elEconomy.aspx

20mpg is, in my opinion, outstanding, already. To get another 10-15% on top of it would be impressive. Trucks are, after all, about as aerodynamic as bricks with wheels. Thus, there's only so much you can do.

Agreed with the above. If you can figure out a way to consistently get 25mpg out of your truck, I'd advise you to call GMs engineering department and demand a job. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, it's just a lot of weight, power, aero issues, etc.. to expect that kind of efficiency out of. All of that being said, by all means set that as a goal if you'd like. I'm not about to say it can't be done. I just wouldn't have the slightest idea how. Also, remember, even a 1mpg improvement from a CAI and custome tune, which I believe is completely practical assuming you lay off the pedal, will give you a 5% fuel savings.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Jr. Mechanic

you could look at fuel additives as well. Most of the ones you see in stores are a joke and don't work, but if you do some research there are a few good ones out there. I ordered Bully Dog's fuel additive when I bought my tuner and I jumped from 11-12 city to 15 city, but that was also with the tune. I just ran out of it so with this new tank I'll see the difference. I'm going to run it for a month without it and see what the difference is. Ive also been experimenting with different gas stations to see their effect on gas mileage. From what I've gathered here is the order from best to worst gas mileage. Sheetz - i jumped 1mpg with this gas alone, GetGo, Sunoco, then Exxon. Exxon was absolutely horrendous, I nearly dropped back down to 12 mpg.

Keep in mind that I live in southwest PA so this may be different from where you live.

Just a little extra info for you.
    2010 Red Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LT
    Blacked Out
    15% Tint all around
    22" KMC Slide Series Black Chrome Rims
    305/45/22R Nitto Dune Grappler Tires
    ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    K&N CAI
    IPCW Black Halo Projector LED Headlights
    IPCW Black Third brake Light
    IPCW Black LED Taillights
    Street Scene Front Bumper Valance