GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'm always skeptical when it comes to the on board computer, A feel like it's been months since my last oil change and when I go to check it says something like 50% oil life left. I agree with everyone else I would also change the oil as often as you can, obviously depending on your financial situation. A tip though defiantly get synthetic! I worked out a deal with my local Chevy dealership where I still get my oil changes under warranty but I add an extra $10 bucks for synthetic, there only stipulation is that I can only get an oil change when the percentage drops below 15%. Hope this helps!

2009 Chevy Silverado!

Blacked out tail lights + 3rd brake light
    l Tint: 35% front windows and Limo on the rest l Hard wired Valentine One radar detector l Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires with GM CK375 wheels l Hand welded receiver hitch l HID lighting l SMD lighting l Blacked out front and rear emblems l Cherry Bomb Extreme exhaust dumped l 2 Kenwood 12's powered by a Kenwood amp w/ an Base control l

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ---2012 Chevy Cruze
    ---

"Let's just agree that a perfect truck is hard to find, and we'll drive the Silverado till we find it." - Car and Driver

Jr. Mechanic

There is a very good site for all things oil. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com
    There is a thread or two that has to do with changing oil too frequently. I'll do some searching and see if I can find it.
    To paraphrase, it is not good on your engine to change oil too frequently. It has to do with the detergents and how they work and how they break down. New oil is loaded with detergents that scrub your engine then. Your engine only needs "scrubbing" periodically. The argument is that too much scrubbing causes premature ware. If I were to buy a used vehicle I would do an oil change ASAP then another within 3,000 miles. Based on the results of my UOA (Used Oil Analysis) I will go at least 9,000 miles before changing the oil.
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

I change mine when the monitor is around 25%. I use mobile 1 or Royal purple. It just depends what falls off the truck that week. I spoke with the service manager at my local dealership a few weeks ago about oil changes. He said that since the oil monitor systems have come along and people are changing their oil at or around every 7,500 miles on average, they have seen a significant increase in timing belt and chains going out. He said that it usually happens under the warranty period. He and few of his techs believe that the longer interval is causing premature wear on certain parts. I don't think that he was giving me a reason to let them change my oil, because he knows that if it is not being paid for by GM then I am doing it myself. He also said that GM had a recall at one time to change the oil monitor settings on certain vehicles, the new settings cut the previous oil life in half. This was for the 3.6l motor.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Mechanic

Pikey,
    Take a look at this thread I started a few weeks back.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...-Just-bragging
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by paracutin View Post
    Pikey,
    Take a look at this thread I started a few weeks back.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...-Just-bragging
    I actually looked at that post when you put it up. I was just relaying information that I received. Like I said, I change mine around 25% left. Depending on what life has going on. I would be interested in doing a UOA also, I wish I did it on my 2002 before I sold it. Then I could compare it to the used truck I have now. I only used synthetic in my 02, the guy I bought my yukon from used whatever was on sale. I would be curious to see the difference between fully synthetic and conventional , they are both 5.3l with about the same miles.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Former Member

UOA is the only way you really know whats going on. Oil has evolved a lot since the 70s...so have engines and their components.

I've ran over 42,000 miles on conventional (non-synthetic) Rotella 15w40 CJ-4 (bypass filter installed)...the UOA came back suitable for continued use, that was when I was experimenting more. I typically run the interval recommended by the manufacturer because most are conservative anyway from the UOAs I've done. My Outback sees 10k changes...I don't use a drop between changes, it sits with 162k on the ticker and it gets over 500 miles a week put on it. I try to get the most from an oil change...its expensive to change all the time.

Basically it boils down to this...do whatever gives you the warm fuzzy feeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12