GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2006 Chevy 2500 Duramax Hissing Air

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2006 Chevy 2500 Duramax and I've noticed that when I start accelerating, there is a hissing sound like a gas actuator or escaping air. As I take pressure off the brake, it will do the same thing but louder and seems to come from the bottom of the engine compartment. I'm pretty new to diesels and I just know that the newer models dont have the same sound. Any ideas?

Thanks =)

Blog Entries

Could be a bad boot on the turbo going from the turbo to the intercooler. Or it could be an exhaust leak. If you're feeling brave, I would recruit a friend or relative to rev the engine while you check around for the noise. I recommend taking it to a shop over that since it's not exactly safe, but that is what I would do.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Thanks Jimmeh, I'll be taking the truck over ASAP.