GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ABS pulsing

Quote Originally Posted by nbturbo View Post
    A mechanic friend of mine told me last night that it isn't advertised by the dealer that the abs sensor is available as a replacement part. The old one is usually ruined during removal, but it can be replaced. I have no side to side or up and down movement, no 'crunchy' sounds when the wheel is spun, so the bearing seems solid. He says he replaced many of them, including his own truck. The sensor is only $75, versus $200 for the whole bearing, any comments on this?
    You can always pull it out and look at it. If the tip has any wear then the sensor wheel is making contact with the sensor and the hub needs replaced. I always just replace the hub. I would hate to spend $75 on the sensor, then in a few months I have to spend $200 to replace the hub because the sensor went bad again. Some info for you the resistance of the sensor should be between 855 and 1230 ohms. I don't know if that will help you with your decision, but it gives you more to test. If the resistance comes back ok then I would assume that the sensor wheel is rubbing the sensor.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    You can always pull it out and look at it. If the tip has any wear then the sensor wheel is making contact with the sensor and the hub needs replaced. I always just replace the hub. I would hate to spend $75 on the sensor, then in a few months I have to spend $200 to replace the hub because the sensor went bad again. Some info for you the resistance of the sensor should be between 855 and 1230 ohms. I don't know if that will help you with your decision, but it gives you more to test. If the resistance comes back ok then I would assume that the sensor wheel is rubbing the sensor.
    Thanks, they have a few sensors and bearings in stock, so tonite I will take it apart, see how the sensor looks and check the resistance. If it looks sketchy, I will then just buy the whole bearing, if it looks ok, then just the sensor. Thanks for the intelligent advice, I really appreciate it. I also have vw's and frequent the vortex forum, which has mostly posers whose first comment on someone's car pic is to write "lower it".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12