GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

Okay just another thing I'd like to throw out there for everyone to consider. This truck sees a decent amount of highway and it seems to me that with a cold air intake and a spacer at highway speeds you'd have to see an increase somewhere. I'm not by any means looking for a huge amount of power out of this or a huge amount in mileage increase.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Added one as part of a total Engine Performance upgrade, so no specific changes or performance gains to directly link to the TB spacer.

If you are going through the process of making upgrades as are listed below, then adding a couple bucks ain't no big deal.

That's just my 2 cents worth...
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Is there any difference between all the different brands of the spacers? Or are they pretty much all the same?

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    Is there any difference between all the different brands of the spacers? Or are they pretty much all the same?
    Chair... Moon. It's as simple as that. Does it matter whether the chair is leather or wood. The end result will be the same. There are no magical bolt on products that are going to make any real difference in and of themselves. Your engine is nothing more in the end than a big air pump. You get more air in and more air out to make any additional power, period. Adding a spacer not only has no way of getting any more air into the system, but the laws of physics actually dictate that such a device would add length to the path of the air and therefore cause friction loss due to the additional surface area of the spacer... ESPECIALLY if it is one of those ones with threads cut into it to "twist the air". Hand one of those to a smoker and have him blow smoke through it. You will then see that the air is not spinning out the other side.

But what about a cold air intake? You can bore a manhole sized hole in your intake and force gobs of air into the system, but if the air doesn't have the means to escape (out the exhaust) then your new and improved hole won't help you either. Think about a 5 inch fire hose hooked to a hydrant with 150 psi of force going in from the hydrant. Let's also suppose that you are running a length of 100 feet of 5 inch hose. With the other end of the hose open, you will only get about 135 psi at the other end because of the friction loss in the hose. Now, let's adapt it down and hook a garden hose to it. You will still get 135 psi, but you will have no volume. Instead of flowing 5 gallons per second, you are maxed out at 1 gallon per minute. Make sense?

Your engine will only pull in as much air as it can get rid of.
    Last edited by moogvo; 04-04-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Thanks for that write up that pretty much says it all. think ill look into some other things to mess with.

Legend

Blog Entries

Since you're looking around for something else to mess with and Tom did such a great job with the fire hose analogy, I'm thinking an exhaust will go nicely with your CAI........maybe?

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

There is no maybe about it ... if he chooses wisely. And yes, @moogvo did one heck of a job with a stellar analogy; props to you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    There is no maybe about it ... if he chooses wisely. And yes, @moogvo did one heck of a job with a stellar analogy; props to you, sir.
    Wow! Thank you! I expected to get flamed over that. There are guys that swear by those things and they will fight you over it, but you can't argue with simple physics! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Wow! Thank you! I expected to get flamed over that. There are guys that swear by those things and they will fight you over it, but you can't argue with simple physics! LOL!
    My background is in engineering, so you got no argument from me.

I'm actually a college student in engineering so no it all makes since there's no argument here. And i do have an exhaust it's a 3 1/2'' down pipe back into a 5'' tip