GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Building a Bantam Trailer

Greetings All, I was just given a little boat trailer. I would like to make a Bantam jeep trailer out of it. Does anyone have any plans? If not, I'm thinking about making the bed out of wood and use that for templates to trace on some sheet metal......thoughts, ideas? Thanks...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trailer side.jpg   trailer rear.jpg  

1989 Chevy V1500 Suburban 4X4, long tube headers & xover pipe. w/1985 350 4bbl.
    2002 Silverado 1500 5.3L Ext. Cab
    2005 Wrangler Rubicon 4.0L
    1990 Miata

Blog Entries

I've had the same thoughts on my own trailer that hasn't seen much use lately. I do see a flaw already: Are the wheels mounted separately or are they on an axle? Makes a guy wonder how much abuse it could take, even though it was a boat trailer (though it looks like it was a small boat). I'll be interested to see how you get on about it.

BTW, nice little Welshman you've got there!
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Dont see many of those trailers anymore.
    Probably the best place to find plans would be on a military vehicle collectors/restores site.
    The last time I saw a Bantam trailer was at a 4th of July parade about 6 years ago.
    That trailer looks like a solid base to start with.
    You gonna use a pintle hitch for connection?

I am hoping to run a tube axle with Jeep hubs to match my Rubicon. I used to have an old military trailer I towed behind my old Jeep. I had to sell it about 10 years ago....... I wish I still had it. They seem a little pricey nowadays. So I hope to make up something nice.

The little Corgi is pretty cool.... likes to chase squirrels and herd the chickens!!!

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

I am hoping to use a Pintle set up. (it will be less people borrowing it then, lol)

You can make this trailer a little lighter than the older military trailers, they use all steel on those things and while they almost never wear out resale stays high.
    For behind my rock crawler I use what started out as a kit trailer from Northern Hydraulics, over the last 8 years it's been modified a bit with a different axle, expanded mesh floor, CV/pintle hook connection, and lots of brackets for different accesories. The last overhaul has everything in box's or hanging from the outside and we turned the interior into a covered sleeping area with a tent I found at Goodwill that we modified to enclose it.
    You really dont need plans unless your trying to build it to match a military trailer, just build it to be useful for you.

I would like to see a pic of what you have created. Sounds nice...and useful...

Sorry due to circumstances beyond my control (the weather) I no longer own this trailer, it was a victim of a tornado earlier this week, a tree dropped on it and flattened it.

Wow, that's a bummer!!!

Time to build a new even better trailer.

Just a thought, you can use the front axle out of a XJ Cherokee 2wd. That will give you the 5x4.5 bolt pattern you want and you can rig up a the brakes if you wish, like a Uhaul trailer to help with heavy loads. Also see if you can find a step side bed from anything 87 and back. Cut it down to the length you want, and use the stock tailgate. Thats all the Bantam was, a bed from a dodge PW on HD frame.