GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 06 Silverado Engine Code that keeps coming back

Hey everyone, I have an 06 Silverado that keeps throwing a double code. The code numbers are P2A01 and P2A04. Both codes come back as oxygen sensors, bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2. When I look up the information on these codes, all it says is that they are performance codes. I have talked with several repair shops and none seem to know what this code is or what causes it. I was thinking exhaust leak, but cant find one. Could it be bad sensors since they both appear to have been replaced?

Legend

Blog Entries

From what I gathered, you have either bad sensors, or if the sensors were moved further downstream as a result of after-market headers being installed (IF it is also throwing a heater code). Below is the most thorough information I could find.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

DTC P2A01: HO2S Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2 , Post Cat. O2.
    • The Engine Run Time parameter is more than 5 minutes.

• The ignition 1 Signal parameter is between 10-18 volts.

• The MAF sensor parameter is between 3-50 g/s.

• The Engine Speed parameter is between 500-5,000 RPM.

• The Vehicle Speed parameter is between 24-132 km/h (15-82 mph).

• The Fuel Level Sensor parameter is more than 10 percent.

• The Short Term FT parameter is between -4 and +4 percent.

• DTC P2A01 runs once per drive cycle when the above conditions are met for 1 second.

P2A01

• The control module detects that the sensor did not transition below 200 mV and above 730 mV during the passive test.

• One of the following tests fail:

Lean Intrusive Test
    - The control module detects that the sensor is more than 200 mV for 12 seconds.

- The sensor is less than 200 mV.

Rich Intrusive Test
    - The control module detects that the sensor is less than 730 mV for 12 seconds.

- The sensor is more than 730 mV.

• DTC P2A01 sets within 10 minutes when the above conditions are met.

All things being equal, the o2 sensor is probably bad. It didn't set a heater code, so the heater side of the o2 is most likely good. You need a scanner to read the 02 sensor and see what is happening, but it's a good bet to be just a bad sensor.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Thanks for the info. That is the same info I got from one repair shop. Think I may try replacing the O2 sensors. Will probably replace them with the sensors you dont have to put together, because it appears they used the ones you assemble yourself.

Legend

Blog Entries

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

So I had my oil change today and found out that I have a crack in the driver's side cat... could this cause a double downstream O2 engine light?
    Robert - Indiana
    2006 Silverado Crew Cab LT Z71
    -Gibson Dual Cat-back

Not much, but it sounds good!