GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default A little help needed from GM gurus...

So I have a 2000 silverado 1500 4.8l 2wd ext cab sb auto. Im approaching 200k and my tranny is on its way out... now Here is my question to you folks...

The tranny in my 96 camaro is also i believe a 4l60, which was just put in that camaro about 2000miles ago... the motor in the camaro is blown and it was a gm performance tranny I have put into the camaro. Would the tranny from the camaro v6 actually fit my truck?

*puts on flame suit*

2000 Silverado LT Ext Cab SB 4.8l 2WD
    -4" Body Lift-33" Definity Dakota A/T tires-Flowmaster Super 44 Exhaust dumped straight down after muffler-

Blog Entries

Need a different bell housing.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

I believe your truck actually has the 4L65e, where the Camaro would have been the 4L60e. I am not clear whether the electrical side of them will interchange or not, but like Jimmeh said, the bell housings are different. The 3.8 in the Camaro has the GM Metric bolt pattern (same as the FWD cars). Keep in mind also that beyond potential electrical issues between the two, GM did (in theory at least) beef it up a bit when they went to the 4L65e (not that I would consider even the stock 4L65e to be very strong).

Flame suit? Nah...we all try to save money where possible.
    Everyone should own a Ford once in their life....how else can you truly appreciate a Chevy?

Thanks for the honost answers guys... guess once the tranny lets go its off to the scrap yard... I cant convince myself its worth buying another tranny for this thing given its age and mileage and it only being a 4.8 and 2wd... sad :( no rust on the truck bleh... shoot me

-4" Body Lift-33" Definity Dakota A/T tires-Flowmaster Super 44 Exhaust dumped straight down after muffler-

OK....now maybe you need that flame suit.

Seriously, it sounds like the truck has enough potential that it is at least worth selling rather than scrapping. Also keep in mind that it is worth quite a bit more BEFORE the tranny lets go completely...even though I'm sure you would be up front about the fact that it is on it's last leg.
    Everyone should own a Ford once in their life....how else can you truly appreciate a Chevy?

Quote Originally Posted by CowsPatoot View Post
    OK....now maybe you need that flame suit.

Seriously, it sounds like the truck has enough potential that it is at least worth selling rather than scrapping. Also keep in mind that it is worth quite a bit more BEFORE the tranny lets go completely...even though I'm sure you would be up front about the fact that it is on it's last leg.
    Maybe, I live in New England, theres not much fo a market for a 2wd high mileage truck, especially with the underpowering 4.8 in it. I may put another tranny in it but its getting worse everyday. I commute about 50-75miles a day i guess thats wearing it faster especially in traffic. Crap part is i dont have another vehicle to drive bleh haha