GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are Recon tail lights worth the money?

I'm planning on getting some new tail lights and a 3rd brake light. I was wondering if it was worth $400 just for the Recon name or save $260 by buying a cheap set on eBay. I had a friend who bought a cheap set of smoked tail lights on eBay and he has had them for 3 years without a problem.
    Year/Make/Model: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    Powertrain: 4.8L V8, Automatic, 2wd
    Tires/Rims: Stock rims and tires for now
    Top 5 Mods: Straight piped exhaust, Billet Grille, Color-matched bowtie/shaved moldings, 12K HID's, Two 12" Kickers with a 1,000 watt amp
    Next Planned mods: Truxxx Leveling Kit, Nitto Trail Grapplers, 15% Window Tint

IMO: You answered your own question... track down the seller who your buddy got his tail lights from, and go that route.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

I have a couple of Recon products on my truck and am happy with them. The only issue I have with buying stuff off of ebay is the warranty. I know there are some members who buy just about everything off of ebay or amazon with great success. I like to be able to go to a place if I have an issue.

I converted all my lighting to RECON lighting, and haven't looked back. They are pricey, but their customer service was outstanding! Had an issue with a faulty L.E.D. kit for my interior, and after talkin with their customer service rep they sent me the replacement part free of charge ($30 kit not including shipping). My wife also went through about 3 pairs of headlights from cheaper companies, and has yet to find a set that works correctly (just food for thought). If yer lookin to save some cash ebay and craigslist are the way to go, just remember you're on your own if you have an issue! Good luck in your search!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Master Mechanic

Are you putting them on your '03 Silverado 1500? If so which ones are you looking at?
    The smoked ones are $300 on Recon's page:
    http://www.gorecon.com/product.php?p...99-07&p_cat=44

Get the part number of the lights you want and type it in the search bar at streetsideauto.com
    they have the smoked ones for $234.
    This is who I bought my lights through. They were super fast on shipping and I was very happy with the product. They have built in load resistors so no hyperflashing. I recommend getting bright LED reverse bulbs too.

What site and product were you looking at that made you think they were $400?

Here is a shot of my truck. I went with the smoked ones and am loving them! Paid $265 incl. shipping. and YES they are authentic and not fakes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.30.12_SB2.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	37280

It was going to be $400 for the dark red smoked tail lights and smoked 3rd brake light .I was looking on amazon and their selling selling the dark red smoked recon tail lights and 3rd brake light for $307 shipped with a warranty so I just might do that. I heard a lot of positive things about recon , but they do hold a somewhat high price to their products. I think im going to get them, because I have a set of altezzas and man they are a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.30.12_SB2.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	37280
    Nice rear end Amac. I hadn't seen any pictures from that angle. You should show that angle more often. And those lights look perfect with your truck. But then you already know that. I still say get some black bumpers and get those nerfs out of your living room...

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy09LTZCrew View Post
    Nice rear end Amac. I hadn't seen any pictures from that angle. You should show that angle more often. And those lights look perfect with your truck. But then you already know that. I still say get some black bumpers and get those nerfs out of your living room...

LOL...thank you! I'm waiting to receive some swatches to decide if I want to go gloss black or satin black. The satin color matched perfectly but wasn't glossy and I think the gloss may show scratches more. Hopefully within the next few weeks things will start to come together. Including the bumpers and nerf bars I have 4 planned mods in the works. I remembered on the way home that I need to look into ordered LED bulbs for the fog lights so maybe I'll get those on order tonight too.

Just make sure that any tail lights you buy are "DOT approved". If they are not and you happen to be involved in an accident, blame can quickly shift and insurance companies can opt not to pay. Buyer beware.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Just make sure that any tail lights you buy are "DOT approved". If they are not and you happen to be involved in an accident, blame can quickly shift and insurance companies can opt not to pay. Buyer beware.
    Back in high school i Had smoked lights on my 06 cummins. Some mom from my rival high school runs into the back of me doing like 45 destroyed her car not so much my truck as she just went underneath. She took me to court over it saying my taillights were black and she couldn't see. Long story short Ended up proving that she wasn't paying attention by the fact that her skid marks were only like 15 feet behind my stopped truck. She was on her cell phone, I've never wanted to hit a women but listening to this lady lie to my face about her not being on her phone drove me nuts. I guess some parents are as immature as kids, she knew who my family was and thought she could squeeze money out of us, she ended up buying me my second cobra
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast