GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Differential fill and drain plug

2001 Burb with 150k miles. Is there a drain and fill plug on the rear diff? I can barely see a plug in the bottom with a 1/2" or 3/8" square drive but I cannot seem to find the fill plug looking from the rear tires. I am hoping not to remove the diff cover. Thanks.

If I remember correctly on my '99 burb, it is on the front half of the pumpkin, on the passenger side. You wouldn't see it from the back.
    I like you.

You could always vacuum it out...
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
    If I remember correctly on my '99 burb, it is on the front half of the pumpkin, on the passenger side. You wouldn't see it from the back.
    Thanks.

I will take a look again tonight.

There is a fill/check fluid level plug. To empty you need to either vacuum out like said above or take the cover off. I recommend just to take the cover off and take some brake clean and spray all in there and clean out any gunk. Doesn't take to long and its definitely worth it!

2006 Duramax LBZ
    Edge Evo
    4'' Diamond eye to 6'' tip
    16'' ion alloy, 33'' fierce attitudes
    Lots of work left to do!

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    There is a fill/check fluid level plug. To empty you need to either vacuum out like said above or take the cover off. I recommend just to take the cover off and take some brake clean and spray all in there and clean out any gunk. Doesn't take to long and its definitely worth it!
    Good advise.

Do I need some sort of cover gasket or RTV will work? Thanks.

I would suggest just going and buying the gasket then putting on some RTV for safe assurance. Sometimes your gasket will be reusable but thats a pretty rare case and no need to take chances for a few extra bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by ntbush83 View Post
    I would suggest just going and buying the gasket then putting on some RTV for safe assurance. Sometimes your gasket will be reusable but thats a pretty rare case and no need to take chances for a few extra bucks!
    Went to the dealer and got the gasket. PN 15807693 @$10.23. Will tackle this project tomorrow. Thanks again.

The plug you see on the bottom (if it is on the very bottom of the pumpkin) is the drain plug and is a 3/8" ratchet head. There should then be another one (3/8" again) for the fill and level on the passenger side of the pumpkin as stated by janikphoto about midway between the back of the diff and driveshaft. as stated by ntbush83 and since you have the gasket go ahead and open it up and clean it out then close it back up and refill. Before draining very important that you make sure you can open the fill plug on the side, other wise you will have an empty diff without a way to fill it back up.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsfloyd View Post
    The plug you see on the bottom (if it is on the very bottom of the pumpkin) is the drain plug and is a 3/8" ratchet head. There should then be another one (3/8" again) for the fill and level on the passenger side of the pumpkin as stated by janikphoto about midway between the back of the diff and driveshaft. as stated by ntbush83 and since you have the gasket go ahead and open it up and clean it out then close it back up and refill. Before draining very important that you make sure you can open the fill plug on the side, other wise you will have an empty diff without a way to fill it back up.
    yes, will make sure the fill plug can be cracked loose first before I drain. good advise.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by