GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default programmer or custom tune

hey guys so since my programmer crapped out on me im in the market for a new programmer or custom tune and was wondering which way i should go and what are the pros and cons of each.

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

I chose DiabloSport because I could use stock tunes on the programmer until I was ready to do a custom tune. That would translate to some immediate improvement and also allow me to get more improvement from a custom tune, later.

I then engaged Lew (@06MonteSS on this forum) for a custom tune and saw results with which I'm very pleased. Lew's easy to work with and he also happens to be a DiabloSport reseller so if you find yourself interested in a DiabloSport programmer you might check with him to see if he's bundling a tune and a programmer.

Lew will also re-tune for free within the first year of getting a custom tune from him, which was a big deal to me since I knew I had a 4.56 gear change coming but it wasn't done when I got my custom tune. (I've since completed it and Lew's retuned for it.)

Thanks surreal for the info always good to hear your input im going to have a look at the diablo. im also liking the fact that you can use the tunes they got plus have a custom one and change it in the first year. ill have to look him up

Fabtech/Banks Ram Air |Fuel Off Road/ 315/70/17 duratracs |Hyper tech / Spencershids |
    Color Matched Bowtie |15% Tint on Front Windows|20% Tint on Back Windows

Chevy Ridin' High
    "Black rims are as cool as a boner at a swim meet"

I'm currently working withe Lew now on my custom tune. Went with his package deal of a programmer + custom tune. I've only had first hand experience with Diablo sport, but I've heard decent things about Edge programmers as well. Supposedly, their Edge Evolution CTS has the ability to change tunes on the fly (while drivin down the road). However, if you get the right custom tune I believe you wouldn't need that feature. The other main company I've heard of is Bully Dog, but alas I have no experience with them. I will say that I am incredibly happy with my programmer and tune from Lew! If yer lookin at $ signs, he does offer the inTune which is a couple hundred cheaper than the Trinity. Good hunting!

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

I just purchased the inTune package from Lew. I installed the 87 octane more mpg program (I don't recall what the exact title is) and not only did I see an improvement in the mpg's but I noticed a bit of an improvement in the performance of the truck. I will be getting up with Lew soon to get a custom tune done.

Custom tune by far, i have EFI live, and i can notice a huge different from my hypertech program to my EFI live, and i'm just a novice tuner. I highly recommend going somewhere and getting the tune done. NOT a mail order tune.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by ippielb View Post
    Custom tune by far, i have EFI live, and i can notice a huge different from my hypertech program to my EFI live, and i'm just a novice tuner. I highly recommend going somewhere and getting the tune done. NOT a mail order tune.
    well, hypertech isn't much to compare to anyway for starters, heh... and as far as "mail order" tunes go, it all depends on who's doing the tuning, and how they do it man...

custom tuning is available for diablosport's programmers by diablo CMR custom tuners, like myself... diablo's tuning software is like hptuners, efilive, etc....

I have people do several data logs for me throughout the tuning process, so I get real-world driving data from their vehicles, and make tune adjustments accordingly... so let's take it easy with the blanket statement you're throwing out there, heh... all mail-order tunes are not created equal... ;)

and Burden33 - please feel free to hit me up with any questions you may have man... I also offer package deals for the Diablosport inTune and Trinity programmers plus my custom tuning, so you'd save $$...
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 04-07-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake