GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Painting inside jams on tailgate

I'm looking to paint the inside jams on my tailgate any suggestions do's or don't's

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!! I have moved your thread to the tech section of the forum so hopefully you'll get a response soon. Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions, as I do not have experience with this.

Good Luck!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

What do you use it for mostly? What is it?
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, my truck is an 06 Silverado extented cap that I have wrapped in camo, the truck is white and I'm not real happy about the tailgate jams being white I'm thinking about painting them black. The truck is driven on a Not to regular basis will however be entering it in a few shows.

IMO, I think the black will stick out just as bad as the white. I would pick the main color in you camo wrap and jam it out in that. You can take an extra piece of the camo to a automotive paint store and they will match it pretty close. They can even put it in a spray can, so you don't need a paint gun. Get a red scotchbrite pad while you're at the paint store. Pick up some comet powder bathroom cleaner on your way home and a roll of masking tape.Then remove all your tailgate hardware, taillights, and tailgate. Tape off the edges you don't want painted, scuff the area to be painted with the SB pad and comet. Just wet the SB pad and pour comet on it and go to town. After your are done scuffing, wash the area with warm water and dawn dish soap to remove the leftover comet and other gunk. Wipe area down with regular old windex atleast to time to remove and wax or grease left after the above steps. The last wipe down should be with 2 lint free towels/rags. One wet, to dry off the area. Then paint the area with a few light even coats. After it drys reinstall hardware, tailights,and tailgate, Then open your cold beverage of choice and be proud of your work.

The reason for the black is there is a lot of black in the camo buy your idea sounds like something I could live with, so what kind of store am I going to and don't say WalMart

Where do you live? Ask a couple of local parts stores, not the chain stores. If the home town parts guys don't/can't do it, they can send you to somebody that does do automotive paint and supplies.

If my head wasn't up my butt I would have noticed that yoiu said an automotive paint store

LOL, Its all good. The black would work, but the reason I said pick a lighter common color in the camo, is to camouflage the gap/jam. If its a softer common color, the onlookers eye will transition panel to panel easier without catching on and out of place bold color or shape. This is all IMO of course.