GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default jack knife repair estimate

So my girlfriend jackknifed a trailer right into the side of my truck. Now I'm wondering how much its gonna be to fix it because this will be coming out of my pocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kalebs truck.jpg  

Looks like the entire bed side will need to be replaced, so it's hard to say...you have to consider where you are, and how many hours it will take to make the repair, cost of paint and parts, ect... The labor hours could range from around $40-100/hr. Larger shops generally charge more.

Around here, I could see it costing you around $1500-$2000. Maybe less, but that's just a ballpark.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 04-05-2012 at 06:39 PM.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Silverado View Post
    So my girlfriend jackknifed a trailer right into the side of my truck. Now I'm wondering how much its gonna be to fix it because this will be coming out of my pocket.
    I dont know what model pickup that is. But you may be able to find an entire bed for it off of an electrical or construction company that uses service beds on their work trucks. May turn out being cheaper.

Also, welcome to GMTC!

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Gah... 2000 is a lot lol. I'm in Tennessee and its a 2001. Idk if I want to drop that much, the truck has 238,000 miles on it as it is.

The cheapest solution would be to make the girlfriend pay for the impact of HER mistake on YOUR truck (including figuring out where to take it, costing it, etc) ... rather than doing so for her. Once done, find yourself a new girlfriend ... one that takes personal responsibility for her own actions ... and also respects other people's things.

I know that may sound harsh, but I'm a big believer in personal responsibility and from the sound of it ... she's not.

It does sound harsh, but I actually agree with Surreal on this one. There's a reason almost noone ever drives my vehicles. My dad has cart blanche to drive anything of mine anytime he needs to, but that's because I know he'll treat it every bit like it's his own. My wife drives my truck, but she never even bothered to ask before we were married because she knew the answer. And even after being married, it only happened once it became a necessity. Have her go look around and junkyards or something and find one for cheaper. Then it still likely has to be painted though, unless she's lucky enough to find one that matches yours.

My wife dented my hood in an automated car wash a couple weeks ago. I was on skype with her when she told me and I could see her feeling physically ill telling me about it. She's trying to make sure it gets fixed and fixed well. It wasn't her fault, so I don't blame her, but it was her reaction I appreciated because she understands what that truck means to me even if she doesn't feel the same way.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

In normal style, Surreal has made a very valid point.

APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    The cheapest solution would be to make the girlfriend pay for the impact of HER mistake on YOUR truck (including figuring out where to take it, costing it, etc) ... rather than doing so for her. Once done, find yourself a new girlfriend ... one that takes personal responsibility for her own actions ... and also respects other people's things.

I know that may sound harsh, but I'm a big believer in personal responsibility and from the sound of it ... she's not.
    One early morning I backed my truck up into my boyfriends BWM. The bumper cracked which was convenient for him since he wanted a different bumper anyway. I gave him the money which was only a couple hundred, still lower than my deductible and for the replacement of an OEM bumper.

The dent probably could have been pulled but since you have a slice mark that goes right though the body panel that is what will drive the price up. If you don't want to replace the whole bed given the age of the truck maybe just get the dent pulled then try to make the hole big enough for some custom side LEDs. It's an idea and the location is not terribly off from where LEDs would be on the side of a truck.

On another note, now I know why they term it as 'jack knife', it looks like someone took a knife to your truck. Sorry too hear about your truck :(

I got an estimate yesterday and it came out to $1739. The guy said the bedside needed to be replaced to make it right and it was gonna be about 650 by itself. So I dunno..

You can find a whole bed somewhere cheaper than that of course...but then you're looking at paint to match too.

Or you could have your girl fork out the cash for the repair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast