GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

For the mirror I don't want strip lights I want 5 individual lights per mirror.then if I did the side ones they will be the strip lights
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Both your light ideas are over the top for a pickup truck. They are better with understatement as far as lighting. Tastefully added in subtle ways, not obvious.

What is your reason for wanting the extra lights? May I suggest something a little more practical? LED replacement tail lamp assemblies (plug and play type that don't need purchase of a different relay), and LED replacement front parking/turn signal assemblies. If that is not enough for your tastes, I suggest looking into the "neon" (they are not actual neon) tubing that you can put behind the grille (recessed, not exposed, so it is indirect lighting) that comes in different accent colors. You can also recess it in the wheel wells or under the rocker panels.

I personally don't like that kind of lighting because it eventually attracts the wrong kind of attention. If you pour money into the interior for example, by way of Recaro seats and/or an extensive audio system or video system, the lights tell the prospective car prowler you are "Mr. Bling", and they might want to take a look inside to see what there is to take.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    Do you have a link to an example? I think they make the stick on strips that have black backgrounds.
    You can actually order the stick-on strips with white, bronze, or black backgrounds ... and get them in waterproof format ... as well as direct view or side view format. To have these options you have to have them made to specification and imported from overseas. $130-$150 bucks for about 16 feet seems to be the norm.

Thank you for your opinion but i hate the look of any type of under glow or neon. The mirror lights im doing for sure. The ones down the side are the ones im not sure of.
    And i actually just ordered the 8 piece set for the front end. New projector halo headlights, parking lights, and the side markers they are a ll black background lights. And i also ordered LED tails. The side ones are just a thought and wanted to see what people thought of them

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

That's a pretty good price. If i do the side ones ill look into that. Going off the posts im straying away from the idea

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    That's a pretty good price. If i do the side ones ill look into that. Going off the posts im straying away from the idea
    I think you're wise to stay away from strips on/around the rockers. It just looks wrong on trucks as small as ours.

In case you elect to do any other custom LED strip work, I've dealt with http://www.ledlightsworld.com/ before and am happy with their service and products, so far. They are overseas so responses to inquiries tend to be during our sleeping hours ... and things must get through customs. Shipping is very reasonable if you keep orders under 1kg. My stuff arrived very rapidly.

Thanks for the info. Don't think I'm doing the rocker lights but I think i will be ordering the mirror lights sometime soon

Blog Entries

Mirror lights cool. I don't even like the big rig style side lights on big rigs. I vote no on those.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Seems the rocker lights were a bad idea

Not all ideas are good ones. Trial and error is one means in which we learn. At least this idea didn't cost you anything.

Very true that's why i posted this because many people like you have very sharp looking trucks and have good opinions.