GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Need Your Thoughts

I have been wanting to put more lights on my truck so here is a VERY rough sketch. Be harsh give you all your thoughts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bkjb.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	37290
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Legend

Blog Entries

I think the ones on the front part of the mirrors would look pretty good. I've seen a few member put lights on that side of their mirrors and they come out nice. I'm not quite sold on the ones under the doors yet. For street rides, I think on some trucks they look great and really complement the theme of the truck, but your ride looks a little more trail/utility than street with the M/Ts, Tow Mirrows, and slight lift, which kinds of messes with what I am used to seeing. However, with that said, you may be onto the next fad as well. I hope that helps!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Mike just said everything I was about to
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

It is my firm opinion that the mirror lights would look sharp and the rocker panel lights would look completely ghetto. That's my two cents worth of input.

For whatever reason I can't see your sketch. But from the replies I gather you want to put lights either under your mirrors or on the rocker panels. I like the idea of the "puddle light" on the mirror. I like it cause if you are playing off road you can turn them on, open the door and have some more useable light that can be moved around a little bit by just swinging the door into that general direction. I am not a big fan of the rocker lights. Looks good on big rigs not so much on pick up trucks.

I pretty much concur with the common consensus here. The mirror lights are something I'me keeping at the back of my head thanks to Jaele and his posts. However, I don't think the rocker lights really fit your truck. That being said, I think it's great you're trying random ideas. Keep going like that and you'll find something unique that does look great.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Master Mechanic

I like the ones on the mirrors. I actually saw a newer dodge, it was white, and had white LEDs hooked up to his running lights. I thought it looked pretty sweet as he let me cross the street and I was starring at his mirrors. As far as the LEDs on the side what would you be using? Do you have a specific product in mind and color? Are you thinking about a switchback LED so it would be white until you put your blinker on?

Here is an example of one of GORecons products. It's their big rig light bar.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DodgeAmber.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	37336
    Last edited by AMac; 04-06-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Include picture

No they would be amber lights on both the mirror and the rockers if i do the rockers. And they would both be hooked to the running lights and they will both be hooked to the blinkers. More than likely they will be very similar to the big rig kits where the there are a lot of LED's close together. The mirror lights are 1'' lights that will stick 1/8'' of the mounted surface and then i will smoke the lens so they do not stick out so much on the black mirror...They will also be a small LED
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    No they would be amber lights on both the mirror and the rockers if i do the rockers. And they would both be hooked to the running lights and they will both be hooked to the blinkers. More than likely they will be very similar to the big rig kits where the there are a lot of LED's close together. The mirror lights are 1'' lights that will stick 1/8'' of the mounted surface and then i will smoke the lens so they do not stick out so much on the black mirror...They will also be a small LED
    Do you have a link to an example? I think they make the stick on strips that have black backgrounds.

For the mirror I don't want strip lights I want 5 individual lights per mirror.then if I did the side ones they will be the strip lights
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails