GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Odd clicking when power on and power off..A/C?

Greetings all! I am at a '94 C2500 to buy. I have't seen the truck...I'm out of town...but Dad drove it a little bit ago. He said it all checked out fine (Dad's an old mechanic) except for an odd clicking noise when you turn the key on and it does it again when you turn it off.

Turn key to power on...click click.click for a few seconds, then it stops. Same when key is switched off.

Starts fine...like and good 350 should...think about the starter and she fires right up. Drives and accelerates good. No hesitations. Trans kick-down may need adjusting. He says it has a slight hesitation when you stomp on it.

A/C does not work. Wondering if the pump is seized and the solenoid is trying to kick in and making the clicking noise.

All I know about the truck: 1994 C2500, 180k miles. Surplus Forest Service truck. 350 engine/auto trans. No codes or dash warning lights. All fluids look good and all guages read normal. PVC is broken and needs to be replaced. No oil drips, just normal seepage on the valve covers. No lifter ticks or odd engine noises. CLicking starts at power on, lasts maybe five seconds, then stops until the engine is turned off. Starts fine cold or hot.

Just looking for opinions and ideas. Like I said, I havent seen the truck nor have I agreed to buy it yet, just looking at possibilities.

Thanks all!
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...

Legend

Blog Entries

I'm not sure about the clicking but I am curious as to asking price. Overall the truck sounds like it's in pretty good shape.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

$1500.

I'm also wondering if it's the fuel pump relay. That makes more sense to my mind. Just getting old and worn. Could account for the hesitation too...too much draw for the old contacts to handle immediately.

Web search came up with a fresh air door actuator is stuck and needs to be replaced. I'm cool with that problem. Just manually pull the door shut and unplug the actuator until I can order a new one.

Legend

Blog Entries

If there are no major problems, which it doesn't appear that there are, sounds like a pretty good deal. There are several for sale in my area and they are priced from $3,000 to $7,000.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pop on it. I'm waiting for a buddy of mine who has a couple trucks for sale to get me out to see them, but I'm getting tired of waiting on him. One is a theft-recovery Dodge and a Toyota Tundra. Be kinda nice having some continuity in the fleet tho...already got a 350 Suburban.

i just bought a 94 c1500 last week, does the same thing and the a/c only works sometimes. from what i've researched, it is the recirc door actuator like you said. i guess the clicking is the gear in it. it's stripped so when it's supposed to stop, it just keeps going and times out after a little bit. i plan on taking it into the shop soon and see what he thinks.

Instead of taking it to a shop why not just take a look first? Get up under your dash and see if you can find the actuator. It's a rectangular box on the side of the hvac box. Unplug it and see what happens. It's like 30 bucks online for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    $1500.

I'm also wondering if it's the fuel pump relay. That makes more sense to my mind. Just getting old and worn. Could account for the hesitation too...too much draw for the old contacts to handle immediately.
    I would have to agree with the fuel pump relay. The AC compressor may not be operating if it is low on freon.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Truck runs fine and the clicking is from under the glovebox. When I get my hands on it, I'll run some diagnostics and see what turns up.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by