GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Weekend Mechanic Drilled a Hole in the Water Jacket - Chevy 1500 4.8

Hi, I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 4.8, about 180k miles. Removed the intake manifold to replace knock sensors. The rear sensor was so rusted that it disintegrated, so I had to drill it out. This isn't really a hard job, but it's hard to get at and I found myself precariusly perched over the engine compartment to access this thing - quite a feat for anyone over the age of 40. Oops! I drilled a hole in the rubber water jacket underneath the knock sensor. I assume the jacket is in communication with the overall coolant system and so will be pressurized. What's the best thing to use to seal this up? I've read the loctite red and other compounds are marketed for this, but this is not simply mating two surfaces together - it's a hole. Will JB cold weld marine grade work?

First of all, rubber water jacket? The water jacket is part of the block and therefore iron or aluminum depending on the composition of the block. You should be able to tap the hole and put a pipe plug in it. If there's not enough space for a pipe plug, you may have just learned an expensive lesson and be on the hunt for a new motor...
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

What he said. Water jackets are not rubber, so now you have to find out what you actually drilled.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

I have repaired cracked blocks on big rigs with steel devcon. Its just like JB weld but holds up to heat a lot better, is stronger, and lasts a lot longer too. It also holds up well under pressure and against chemical breakdown. Specialty auto parts stores should have it or look for it online