GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Th 350 & 283 compatible?

Hello all,
    i just joined up and have an engine and trans. that i do not know if they are compatible. i've got the chance to buy a 1965 283 high torque V8 that originally had a 3 speed manual and i want to know if a later TH 350 trans and flex plate will bolt up. Mainly don't know if the flex plate bolt pattern will match the 283 crank bolt pattern.

Anyone got a thought for me on this?

Thanks, 71 Longbed

I'm almost sure it will considering the production of the 350 Turbo began in 63 or 64. If the flex plate doesn't match for either of them, then there are plenty of companies that make conversion kits for it to work.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Welcome to the GMTC, I don't know about your engine but it is good to have you aboard.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

It will work just fine. You just have to make sure your flexplate will match the starter and torque convertor bolt pattern. Flexplates are cheap and easy to find. Just make sure the flexplate is for an 85 down engine. 86 went to one piece rear seal.

Yep it'll match up.
    When it came to GM small blocks they made them compatable with almost everything.
    Many 283's came with the 2 spd auto which was a great drag racing trans, but for those that were doing more street cruising the swap to a TH350 was the popular way to go.
    I've even seen a 700R4 behind a 283 in "T" bucket.

We are the Borg. Lower your truck and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club!

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club ANd enjoy the site.....

Welcome to the G M T C !

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Thanks a bunch i appreciate your input. Yeah, this Chevy stuff is new to me... I'm a Pontiac nut (big Catalina's with 4 speeds) got 3 of them and this '71 C10 is my recently aquired daily driver, so now, i'm making this one my own with mods etc. I'll post pics here pretty soon.

Thanks again.

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals