GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Led light and load resister?

I recently installed some leds in my tail lights and back up lights to replace the old style bulbs in my 03 Avalanche. Someone told me that I may need a load resister to stop the hyper flash as he called it. I didnt know anything about the hyper flash problem or a load resister until now. If anyone knows.... what load resister do I need a 6 ohm 50 watt or something else? Also do I need one for all 6 of my tail lights (brake lights, turn signal and back up lights included in that count)? Or do I just need one for turn signal bulbs? I saw someone else on here had a cruise control problem with their leds but i didnt really understand their solution. I havent tried my cruise yet and I definatly dont want to start blowing fuses or messing anything up. Thanks for your help.
    All I installed was new led bulbs not a led tail light assembly

---------- Post added at 02:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

I also found a flasher module. Not sure if this would be a beter fix or if I could even use it in my truck.
    Last edited by freddie; 04-25-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: left something out
    2003 Avalanche 4x4 with cladding 110k miles +, K&N stock replacement air filter, Skyjacker 8000 shocks, Hawks LTS pads, Summit Racing brand drilled and sloted rotors, Sylvania ZXE high & low beams, leveling kit, 285/70/r17 Michelin M/S

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Radio Shack has a kit for this..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Replace the turn signal flasher with one made for LEDs.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonduff View Post
    Replace the turn signal flasher with one made for LEDs.
    Just make sure to replace ALL of your turn signal bulbs with LEDs or you will burn the flasher out.

Most of the LED replacement bulb modules already have a resistor built in to them. Make sure you have "hyper flash" before adding in resistors or changing flashers. the reason you get "hyper flash" is that the LED appears to be an open circuit to the flasher, so it thinks you have a burned out bulb which is why you get rapid flashing... It is an alert to tell you that there is a bulb out.
    Last edited by moogvo; 04-25-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Jr. Mechanic

I have currently only replaced all the rear bulbs with leds. I am pretty sure its hyper flash because my blinker is noticeably fast. I just dont know whats the best option. If i replace the module before i replace the front bulbs will it hurt anything? Also what size resistor would i need if i go that route?

Quote Originally Posted by freddie View Post
    If i replace the module before i replace the front bulbs will it hurt anything?
    Yes. You will fry it in short order. An LED flasher is not made to take the load of an incandescent bulb.

You would want to use a 10 ohm 10 watt resister per bulb. You can get them at a store that rhymes with "Radio Snack".

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Yes. You will fry it in short order. An LED flasher is not made to take the load of an incandescent bulb.

You would want to use a 10 ohm 10 watt resister per bulb. You can get them at a store that rhymes with "Radio Snack".
    Is that resistor enough? I know a buddy that has 50watt 6 ohm on his from turn leds. I just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff. I dont want to have to replace anything later you know. I am not as knowledgeable on electrical stuff as I would light to be but I can make stuff work even if it doesnt look pretty.

Is that resistor enough? I know a buddy that has 50watt 6 ohm on his from turn leds. I just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff. I dont want to have to replace anything later you know. I am not as knowledgeable on electrical stuff as I would light to be but I can make stuff work even if it doesnt look pretty.
    A 50 watt is not going to hurt anything. It is WAY overkill... I would stick with 10 ohms tho.

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    A 50 watt is not going to hurt anything. It is WAY overkill... I would stick with 10 ohms tho.
    So just so I understand. I need one for both turn signals but do I need one for both brake lights as well? As you know we dont have a brake light or back up light indicator. Would I be ok with out resistors on those lights? This is quickly becoming to much work just to have something that I think looks good as much as everything else I try to do. lol

So just so I understand. I need one for both turn signals but do I need one for both brake lights as well? As you know we dont have a brake light or back up light indicator. Would I be ok with out resistors on those lights? This is quickly becoming to much work just to have something that I think looks good as much as everything else I try to do. lol
    The only ones you need resistors for is the ones that flash. If the brake light is also a turn signal, then you will beed a resistor on that too. If it isn't, then you are good. each bulb that flashes needs to get it's own resistor.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by