GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Won't start on first try !

Does not matter whether on a cold or warm engine, it takes two tries to start the engine. What could be causing this? If the spark is missing, it should not start at all. Am I correct to assume this is fuel related? 2001 Suburban with 150k miles and original fuel pump.

I am not familiar with my 2001 Suburban so I have a few questions.
    1 Does the fuel pump have a check valve that could be bleeding and causing loss of fuel pressure?
    2. Is my fuel pump getting weak?
    3. What tools do I need to check the fuel system?
    4. Where is the fuel pump?
    5. Is the fuel pump easy to replace?
    6. I plan to keep and maintain it for a long time. What is a good service manual?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
    Am I correct to assume this is fuel related?
    Yep. Probably fuel pressure regulator. But could be Pump, filter, or a combo. At that milage it's about when those issues show up.

Search the forum. Tons of good info on how to check pressure and what it should be. Chilton's or Haynes, both have their fans. Or you could get a digital manual on eBay real cheap. They seem to be very good as well. Might want to check Autozone.com. They have on-line manuals and how to's. Not sure if they still have the 2001 info up.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptime View Post
    Yep. Probably fuel pressure regulator. But could be Pump, filter, or a combo. At that milage it's about when those issues show up.

Search the forum. Tons of good info on how to check pressure and what it should be. Chilton's or Haynes, both have their fans. Or you could get a digital manual on eBay real cheap. They seem to be very good as well. Might want to check Autozone.com. They have on-line manuals and how to's. Not sure if they still have the 2001 info up.
    Thank you.

Is there an external fuel filter I can replace aside from the in-tank filter?

should just be in tank and possibly with a 2001 its part of the fuel pump and cant be replaced seperately
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
    Thank you.

Is there an external fuel filter I can replace aside from the in-tank filter?
    Don't know.. This looks like there's one one the driver's side forward of the tank..

thanks guys. i will check it out tonight.

Don't know.. This looks like there's one one the driver's side forward of the tank..
    That would be nice. wasnt quite sure, just knew by 2004 they got rid of an external one
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Yes, I have an external filter in front of the ABS pump and controller after crawling underneath. Thanks. Now I need to buy the correct filter and change it out before my long trip to Atlanta.

Hopefully that is the problem. Check that pressure too!

If you haven't done it yet, you mind as well do some preventative maintenance, anyway... plugs, filters, etc. If any/all of the regular maintenance items are worn, they could be adding to your existing problem.
    I like you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast