GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Is something missing?

I just bought an 08 Suburban LTZ. Checking under the hood, there is a space with what looks to be a battery tray located on the drivers side behind the grill. I see the battery is located on the opposite side, I was wondering what this space is for. Anly info?
    Joe

Don't know about your year, but mine came with an optional nifty storage box. The space gets used for second batteries too.

On most models, if the diesel engine was an option, they put the extra battery tray in all vehicles of that model. The seconds battery tray is only used for the diesel engine, but you can of course put your own second battery and cabling in to make use of the tray.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Or get a nifty tool compartment.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Default Thanks for the info

I appreciate the info. Figured it might be a tray for a second battery, but never considered the diesel possibility. Great idea to use as extra storage. Will have to give that some extra thought.

Extra battery
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Yes it is an extra battery tray. My 11 Sierra has it also.

My 96 silverado had a compartment there. It was handy as heck. I stored all kinds of tools in there for whatever might be needed. My 2009 silverado has the space, but I haven't put a compartment there only because I'd like to add a second batter sometime later. That's what it's for though, yes, the second battery. If you don't need that though, get a tool compartment and put some basic tools in there. You'll probably never think of it again until something happens when you're on the road and you open the hood and remember.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp