GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Shakes

Default Shakes

I had my 1997 Silverado Extend cab in for an alignment because it pulled to the left and had a shake in the steering wheel .But that did not fix it ,the shop could not find anything wrong. Got any idea what would make it do this?????

For the pull the alignment might take care of it, but for the shake more than likely the balance of the wheels, unless your tires are worn like crazy on the inside edges like my old car was

2003 single cab stepside Chev 1500, 6" rough coutnry lift, 4' firestick cb whips, cobra ltd cb radio.
    Next mods: flowmaster 10series muffler and exhaust (in process)
    1.5" zone body lift
    315/70r16 cooper stt once the 305s wear out

Sold-1996 Audi A4 lowered on H&R ultra low coils running 19" mercedes wheels, limo tint, borla exhaust
    New ride 96 VW jetta lowered 2.0l 5 spd

typically shake will be wheel balance. Can also be brakes and/or worn suspension parts. Not all shops inspect the front suspension/steering components before aligning as they should as you cant get an accurate alignment if there is play in the front end.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

It could be a few things. First off, why did you take it in for the alignment? Tire wear, pulling, clunking ect? How was the tires wearing? Does the vehicle pull or drift? How is it after the alignment? ANY better? How is the air pressure? Check the tires for out of balance or, seperation. While they check the balance, see if the wheels are bent or not.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

What about your brake rotors? If they aren't true, it will shake, especially when you step on the brakes. If the front end shop had found worn parts, they would have tried to sell you, because that's how they make money. Your problem is either wheel balance or brakes.
    Good Luck and God Bless
    Remember that if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem!