GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My 1997 2500HD with the vortec 35O has them... I had just replaced the intake gaskets last thanks giving... Myself. There are two ports on each head front and rear on both the drivers side and passengers side. Mine was leaking slowly between one of the intake ports and coolent ports.at the back of the block. Eventually it blew out to where it was leakinO on top of the intake. But then again what do I know.

Thats a 5.7 gen 1 motor. The sbc/bbc (305,350,454,etc) are gen 1's, the LT's are gen 2 (LT1, LT4), the LS series are gen 3 including the truck engines, the ls series with DOD, displacement on demand are the gen 4 motors. Besides the 3 and 4's the motors are completely different design and parts. In this case his 4.8 gen 3 motor doesnt have intake coolant passages only small metal cross over tubes from the heads. Besides the throttle body lines pulling an intake on these doesnt open the coolant system.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

I really thought mine was the gen 3. Anyway I hope he finds a solution. Mine suffered from cooling loss for years... Before a full failure. I used alumaseal as I had thought possibly a cracked head. Good luck.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Took me a while to get it down too. Unfortunatly leaking intake gaskets is the cause of failure for most 90's- early 00's gm engines. My grandma had a lumina van that they had to put a jasper engine in then she gave it to my cousin who ignored the intakes again and popped the head gaskets who gave it to me and I threw some 3.1 heads on the 3.4 and flipped it for a profit. If you overheat aluminum heads they will almost always crack. I sold it to a guy who uses the enormous dash as a shelf to deliver papers, he still has it.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

I actually had a similar problem with my my dd car. I would drive for 2-3 weeks fine then notice my temp gauge slowly rising. I'd refill the radiator, and the process would repeat. I finally had a few days off work and decided to look into it. I found out the thermostat was sticking closed, so the coolant was basically boiling inside the engine. So check your thermostat.
    2006 Silverado Crewcab 5.3l, has a modified airbox with drop-in filter.
    Mods to come:
    Exhaust
    Tune
    Suspension
    More power!

Dex cool is not the problem its the acidity in the coolant from not changing the coolant. Do not change from a Dex cool based antifreeze as the aluminum components will degrade much quicker.

Blog Entries

Quick question, and it may sound kind of dumb. For the last week or so, I noticed that every once in awhile I will get a antifreeze smell inside the cab of the truck through my vents when using the heat. My temp gauge stays where it's at so I am pretty confused. My fluid has actually stayed pretty consistant now that I think about it. I've added maybe a full gallon throughout the entire duration I've owned it (now a little over 3 years). But, I have no flushed the system since owning it either, and it now has 92,000 miles on it. Anyway, back to the original point: could this be a sticking thermostat? I always thought that normall if it would stick closed, the engine would overheat, and that open it would just be leaking like a siv....
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    Quick question, and it may sound kind of dumb. For the last week or so, I noticed that every once in awhile I will get a antifreeze smell inside the cab of the truck through my vents when using the heat. My temp gauge stays where it's at so I am pretty confused. My fluid has actually stayed pretty consistant now that I think about it. I've added maybe a full gallon throughout the entire duration I've owned it (now a little over 3 years). But, I have no flushed the system since owning it either, and it now has 92,000 miles on it. Anyway, back to the original point: could this be a sticking thermostat? I always thought that normall if it would stick closed, the engine would overheat, and that open it would just be leaking like a siv....
    Stuck closed will over heat the motor. Stuck open and the motor will not get to operating temp. Your coolant smell could be a small heater core leak.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Stuck closed will over heat the motor. Stuck open and the motor will not get to operating temp. Your coolant smell could be a small heater core leak.
    +1

10 chara
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123