GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Accessory Opinions

So I'm in the process of switching all of my chrome to black. The big pieces (grille, rear bumper, etc) are easy. What I keep forgetting about are things like the chrome door handles. My truck is the white diamond color so I'm looking forward to getting the light/dark thing going with the truck. What I can't decide is, body match or black for the mirror covers, body match or black for the door handles and body match or black for the front and rear bowtie.

As far as the mirror covers and handles, I keep thinking the body match would look good. However, I also keep thinking that going black on those would tie in the black wheels really well from the profile viewpoint of the truck.

Regarding the bowties, the grile is going to be black so I considered doing a body match bowtie there. But then the tailgate will still be white so I thought about making that bowtie black. However, I'm not sure how I feel about having different color bowties on the truck. I've also considered keeping the front bowtie black and simply outlining it in body match paint.

What are the opinions of the forum?

While I'm excited to complete the transformation, I'm also a bit nervous about going too far with it since it's going to completely change the look. Thanks for all of your inputs.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Jr. Mechanic

I've actually just completed this transformation on my truck. Personally I would go with mirrors, door handles, and bowties all black. Think of the black as your "accent" color. So everything that isn't part of the main body should be black and all other parts white. Plus the black wheels will really help to pull out the black accessories when its all finished. As for the grill/bowtie it depends on 2 things, personal opinion and what type of grille. If you removed the split grille part and put in a 1 piece mesh its going to be a hard decision, but if you color matched the grille housing to the body color then I would go with a black bowtie and a black 2 piece mesh grille.

I get my truck out of the shop on Monday or Tuesday depending when they finish the painting. I'll post up a few pics so you can see what it will look like. Just imagine my truck is white instead of red haha. hope this helped.
    2010 Red Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LT
    Blacked Out
    15% Tint all around
    22" KMC Slide Series Black Chrome Rims
    305/45/22R Nitto Dune Grappler Tires
    ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    K&N CAI
    IPCW Black Halo Projector LED Headlights
    IPCW Black Third brake Light
    IPCW Black LED Taillights
    Street Scene Front Bumper Valance
    Street Scene Black Chrome Grille
    Black Bowties
    Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
    Alpine Touchscreen Headunit
    4 Kicker RS Componet Speakers
    Kicker 12" L7 subwoofer w/ Kicker ZX1500.1 Amplifier

I've been leaning the same way on the accessories because of the accents. Thank you for your input. As for the grille, I may have found an OEM replacement that was blacked out. Therefore it still has the center piece and bowtie. If I end up with a one piece, I agree it will be more tricky, mostly because placement alone will be interesting to figure out without looking just thrown together. For right now though, I'm going with the assumption the one I'm looking at might work which will be the same grille, but all black. I won't be body matching the grille. I have the LTZ so my front bumper is body matched as well. This is something I'm also debating between keeping or getting one of the aftermarket bumpers I'm looking at. If I do switch to the aftermarket, it will be more for function. That is low on the priority list, so for the foreseeable future at least, the bumper will stay body matched.

First off your truck looks great and I agree with you that it might be alittle odd having 2 different colored bowties but i do think that black bowties with a white outline would look awesome and be fairly unique (don't think I've seen that on a truck). Also have you considered taking the tailgate bowtie off? If so then a color matched bowtie on the front would look great too. Theres actually a white Z71 running around here in town like that and it looks pretty sharp. Just some thoughts... Good luck on making your decsions!
    Last edited by LB'07-Z; 04-13-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Luke
    '02 Chevrolet 2500hd
    6.6 Duramax LB7
    3.5" Straight Pipe
    4" MBRP Black Exhaust Tip
    Tow Mirrors
    TSC Black Low Profile Tool Box
    Maverick Brush Guard

Jr. Mechanic

Personally I wanted to get the z71 "appearance package" which had the grille and bumpers all color matched to the body instead of chrome, but they offered me such a good deal on my trade-in (which I was afraid to drive home for fear of falling apart) that I drove the truck home off the lot right there. So I couldn't get that therefore I went ahead and did it all myself. In the long run it was actually a better decision because the appearance package cost a little over $2000 and I was able to find all the aftermarket parts for under $500 and the paint/install was only $500 so I saved some cashflow. If your going to get parts painted with the GM paint that is going to cost you a decent amount. My installer said that a quart of GM Victory Red paint was over $100 and that was what actually cost the most out of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by LB'07-Z View Post
    First off your truck looks great and I agree with you that it might be alittle odd having 2 different colored bowties but i do think that black bowties with a white outline would look awesome and be fairly unique (don't think I've seen that on a truck). Also have you considered taking the tailgate bowtie off? If so then a color matched bowtie on the front would look great too. Theres actually a white Z71 running around here in town like that and it looks pretty sharp. Just some thoughts... Good luck on making your decsions!
    Thank you. I do love my truck. Now I'm just trying to make it truly mine. And yes, I have considered debadging as well. That's why I didn't ash about the "silverado" lettering. I'm planning to remove those as soon as I get home and am contemplating removing the mouldings on the side as well. I may end up removing the rear bowtie, but I keep thinking the black might look nice back there with everything else removed. We'll see.

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lquattro04 View Post
    Personally I wanted to get the z71 "appearance package" which had the grille and bumpers all color matched to the body instead of chrome, but they offered me such a good deal on my trade-in (which I was afraid to drive home for fear of falling apart) that I drove the truck home off the lot right there. So I couldn't get that therefore I went ahead and did it all myself. In the long run it was actually a better decision because the appearance package cost a little over $2000 and I was able to find all the aftermarket parts for under $500 and the paint/install was only $500 so I saved some cashflow. If your going to get parts painted with the GM paint that is going to cost you a decent amount. My installer said that a quart of GM Victory Red paint was over $100 and that was what actually cost the most out of anything.
    I'd heard similar numbers about the paint so if I do color match, I'm really glad i'd only need a quart or so. I am glad I have the color matched front. For the rear I'll probably keep hunting around for a fab fours rear bumper for a price I can't resist. If I go black on all the trim, I could ponder hydrodipping everything with a matte finish. At least then I know the mirrors, handles, etc.. would match.

Quote Originally Posted by LB'07-Z View Post
    i do think that black bowties with a white outline would look awesome and be fairly unique (don't think I've seen that on a truck).
    Mine isn't black with white border, it is chrome border but it might give you an idea what that would look like. Sorry about the picture quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FxCam_1332968692401.jpg  

2012 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 4.8L 4x4
    - Nitto Tera Grapler 265/70R17, Line-X bed liner, Black Bowties, Stampede front deflector, DeeZee black diamond plate bed rails, TonnoPro Lo-roll cover, Antenna deleted, Spyder Projection Headlights with Phillips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs, Spyder Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Rough Country leveling kit, PlastiDip'd emblems, and wheel hubs, Diablosport Trinity, 20% tint, Black OEM grill

"Coming through in a new Chevy, droppin' game like it's too heavy."

That looks really clean. Did you paint it yourslef? And I think the really challenging part will be trying to outline it. I'll just have to be really careful with taping the black part off. Thanks for the picture. It does help.

Yes, it was the stock tailgate badge off a 2012.

Getting the gold portion out of the chrome was pretty tough. I used a hair dryer to heat it up and a small flat 8" metal ruler to pry it off the adhesive. I had to lift the corners to start it with a tiny screwdriver. Fishing line should also work.

Here is the little screwdriver and ruler I used with a paperclip beside for size reference:

I read some of the guides here on how to paint it, I wet sanded with 600 grit sandpaper then used DupliColor Black and clear coat then re-fastened it with 3M molding tape.

The front bowtie would require some painters tape to get the same effect since it doesn't have two pieces.

Mine didn't come out perfect, it has a little bit of texture and isn't perfectly mirror finish but I am a pretty amateur painter.

I like the fact you are trying to get your list going for mods when you get home. The only thing is you may see something you like better as you make the changes. So my suggestion is to keep investigating and researching but wait til you get home to get the paint done. I am not trying to rain on your parade by any means. But, I would hate to see you drop large amounts of cash on items you may realize that you may not have needed.
    With that being said I would go with the black accents,remove the rear bowtie and as suggested earlier outline the front bowtie.
    It isn't my truck but with all the mods you have planned I can't wait to see this thing when it is "done". Although we all know there is no such thing as a truck being done.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by