GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Full custom front gill

Ok guys, I got a 93 Burb that is in need of a grill, I want to go full custom built. Something to make it stand out. Anyone built one or seen anything that looks good? I could use some ideas.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burb 1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	37611
    It is already bagged, so it lays low. I want to make something that will work well, but stand out at the same time.

Thanks guys.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Try to find an old cat-eye grille. They looked good back in the day on clean lowriders. If I see you put on one of those Land Rover inspired grilles, I will remove it with a flamethrower.
    Sometimes the best part of my job is that my chair swivels.

With no grill on the truck, it definitely stands out right now!!!
    I like you.

I wanted the phantom grille look on Da Bus, but couldn't afford it. $300ish. I'm now searching for a bulk of chrome refridgerator handles to fill the hole. (any appliance salvage guys here?)

In my searching, I found an S-10 owner who used 1/2" flat stock, threaded rod, and tube to make a custom "billet" grille. Search for 'S-10 home-made grille'. Looks like it was pretty cheap, and you could bend it any way you want. I've never seen a diagonal grille?!. All of this stuff was found at the home hardware center. I've also looked at some of those punched metal ceiling panels. It's different, still lets air through, and again, you can do with it what you want.

Good luck,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Quote Originally Posted by KidHauler View Post
    I wanted the phantom grille look on Da Bus, but couldn't afford it. $300ish. I'm now searching for a bulk of chrome refridgerator handles to fill the hole. (any appliance salvage guys here?)

In my searching, I found an S-10 owner who used 1/2" flat stock, threaded rod, and tube to make a custom "billet" grille. Search for 'S-10 home-made grille'. Looks like it was pretty cheap, and you could bend it any way you want. I've never seen a diagonal grille?!. All of this stuff was found at the home hardware center. I've also looked at some of those punched metal ceiling panels. It's different, still lets air through, and again, you can do with it what you want.

Good luck,
    I have seen a few trucks in my area that used punched sheet metal. Some of them look really nice and I am sure that it was rather inexpensive to do. That being said, I have seen some that look REALLY bad. I guess it just depends on how good you are working with metal. My neighbor took his old grill to a welding shop that was looking for work. The guys took a 1/8" thick sheet of metal, cut a design in it on the plasma table, welded brackets on it, and bent it to the same shape as his original. It cost him $75 and looked awesome. (the welding guys called it a "government" job)

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

What is the "cat eye grill"?

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywolf858 View Post
    Try to find an old cat-eye grille. They looked good back in the day on clean lowriders. If I see you put on one of those Land Rover inspired grilles, I will remove it with a flamethrower.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

I was reminded of this thread today, when a '97 or so silverado pulled up next to me at a light. It had a bunch of custom stuff done, and one thing was a fully-custom grill. This thing was absolutely laughable... ugly... pitiful! I'm not saying EVERY custom job will fail, but this guy's sure did!
    I like you.

Here is a cat eye grill. They were unique in their day and were about the only option from just a grill insert.

Sometimes the best part of my job is that my chair swivels.