GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
  1. #1

    Default How can you freshen up the alternator?

    With 150k miles, I am pretty sure the next to go out will be the alternator. I already did a tune up by replacing spark plugs and also replaced the belts. Can you replace just the brushes and internal regulator on the alternator? Where can you get parts?
    I am trying to catch up on my preventive maintenance.
    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    You dont normally freshen up an alternator, it's usually run until it has problems, this is one of those parts that could run for 20 miles or a million miles you cant ever tell wich it'll be untill you get there.
    But if you really want to do preventive maintenance look up electrical shops in your area there should be someone that rebuilds alternators.
    Check the price on remanned alternators while your at it, they may be cheaper.

  3. #3

    Default

    You can rebuild the alternator. Here is a website that sells parts. http://aspwholesale.com/

  4. #4

    Default

    was at 07:21 AM ----------



    ---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    You can rebuild the alternator. Here is a website that sells parts. http://aspwholesale.com/
    Well my alternator reached 150k miles so might as well freshen it up. I am thinking along the lines of replacing the carbon brushes, cleaning up the slip rings, replacing the two bearings and the internal voltage regulator if it has one.

    Aloxdaddy, tha is a great site. Delco alternator repair kits only cost about $27. I will call them today and find out more info. Thanks.
    Last edited by bazar01; 04-14-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: remove double quote.

  5. #5

    Default

    Yeah, I just watched an episode of Wheeler Dealers where the mechanic opened up a noisy alternator and replaced the bearings. Other than that and a few electronic components, an alternator is just a big ball of wound copper wire. Not a ton of parts to replace, really...
    I like you.

  6. #6

    Default

    You might be able to find a local rebuilder to get the parts from or have them do it if you don't have the tools

  7. #7

    Default

    I went to the site and checked the parts look up.

    It looks like I have to identify which alternator I have from the 3 listed.
    1. Bosch alt - 125 amp
    2. Declso opt. - 130 amp
    3. Delco std. 105 amp

    The regulator is $26.20
    Brush holder is $5.90
    Bearings> $2.70 and $4.10 for front and rear 6202 and 6203.

    Anybody knows how to identify my alternator?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator parts.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	37793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator parts 2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	37794

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
    I went to the site and checked the parts look up.

    It looks like I have to identify which alternator I have from the 3 listed.
    1. Bosch alt - 125 amp
    2. Declso opt. - 130 amp
    3. Delco std. 105 amp

    The regulator is $26.20
    Brush holder is $5.90
    Bearings> $2.70 and $4.10 for front and rear 6202 and 6203.

    Anybody knows how to identify my alternator?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator parts.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	37793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alternator parts 2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	37794

    I called the dealer and gave them my VIN. I have a 130 amp Delco alternator.


    I will just order the parts and rebuild it myself. It should not be that hard. I will post and update when I get the parts.

  9. #9

    Default

    You should definitely take pictures as you do the rebuild. It would make for a great tutorial and DIY walkthrough for the forum! I'd love to read it, anyway... Or, at least post a good narrative on the process, telling us about the harder and easier spots.
    I like you.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
    You should definitely take pictures as you do the rebuild. It would make for a great tutorial and DIY walkthrough for the forum! I'd love to read it, anyway... Or, at least post a good narrative on the process, telling us about the harder and easier spots.
    I will surely take pics for reference.

    I just ordered the parts online.
    1. Regulator - PN D200XHD - $26.20
    2. Brush assy - PN 39-112 - 5.90
    3. Bearing - 6202 - 2.70
    4. Bearing - 6303 4.10
    5. Shipping 12.90
    Total: $51.80

    Good for another 100k miles unless the rectifier goes out. Rectifier $33.90

    Advance Auto rebuilt unit: $159

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bad Alternator?
    By nlocho11 in forum GM Electrical Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 08:19 AM
  2. Alternator
    By Padre in forum GM Electrical Tech
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 10:31 PM
  3. alternator going bad?
    By loic in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
  4. My Alternator Went Out on Me
    By Crawdaddy in forum Audio, Video & Gadget Tech
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 10:43 AM
  5. alternator
    By spooky in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 03:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •