GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default No heat in engine

Hi I live in PA and own a 1992 4X4 Silverado with a 305 engine, I am wandering if anyone ever came across a problem like I have. I can't get my truck over 150 degrees, I changed thermostats 3 times,ran it without the fan,changed the heater hose quick connect,took the shroud off,blocked the front of the radiator,change the return heater hose to the water pump that was going to the radiator and last put a washer with a small opening in the top hose. Nothing worked!!! I am not stupid when it comes to cars, I've built 5 race cars and help out with my daughter in laws drag car. I also use a radiator thermometer and never trust the dash gauge. Any suggestion would help, the engine isn't getting hot enough to evaporate the moisture out of the block---hence my dip-stick is very rusty not to mention the fuel injection not getting to it's full working capacity.

We are the Borg. Lower your truck and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club!

My typical greeting delivered and being unable to address your concern, myself, I advise you to post your issue in the relevant technical section of the forums, as you'll get a wider readership on the topic and, perhaps, get a quicker response. Good luck and welcome!

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

welcome to the club and enjoy the site......

and this situation you are in , and all you have done to date, has me scratching my head,,, re post this where one of the Gurus can chime in......My only thought would be a power flush of the cooling system and a flow check on the water jacket, but that doesn't equate with me either as this would cure an over heating problem ......

Just a guess but are you sure you are putting the thermostat in right? the temp sensor goes on the engine side. Your problem seems typical open thermostat. Anyway, welcome to the club. Good luck on your project.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Legend

Blog Entries

Just out of curiosity, what temp thermostat did you finally end up with? Also, if you used a Failsafe thermostat (which are common) that could be your problem, as those have a pretty bad reputation from continually getting stuck open...even if it is new.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Welcome to the G M T C ! As said above, post your question in the appropriate section to get more input. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what temp thermostat did you finally end up with? Also, if you used a Failsafe thermostat (which are common) that could be your problem, as those have a pretty bad reputation from continually getting stuck open...even if it is new.
    I completely agree with mfleetwood! The fail safe thermostats I used in the past caused the same issue you are having. When my wife had a cavalier I put one of those in and it never got warm. Driving on the freeway in the winter required a blanket in her car. There was no heat at all. I switched the thermostat out with a new one and the problem was solved. Hope this helps

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Blog Entries

Thanks to every one responding I use GATES thermostats and how in the world do I re post on the suggested sites? I put 192 s in it.
    Last edited by Erby; 04-04-2012 at 10:34 PM.

Hmm.. I'm kind of having to scratch my head at this one as well. Pretty much the only thing that comes to my mind is plugged water jackets.. but that would more than likely have an adverse effect and overheat.

Does the truck run fairly well?

And the fact that you put a washer in line basically makes everything about the thermostats failing open irrelevant in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

Couple more questions:

Have you tried bypassing the radiator altogether?
    Is the coolant level consistently full?
    If you change your oil yourself... does it have a milky color to it?

Being into hotrods, I'm sure you understand my thinking on the questions I'm asking... just hasn't been brought up yet, so I wanna cover some bases. I am personally becoming stumped.. but I have lots of knowledge/experience at hand and will call around tomorrow.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Erby View Post
    Thanks to every one responding I use GATES thermostats and how in the world do I re post on the suggested sites? I put 192 s in it.
    Don't worry about starting a duplicate thread.....You're thread has been moved to the proper location.
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 04-05-2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: updated move info

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast