GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Weird Electrical issue, please help!

ok, i have a 2000 silverado 2500, my instrument cluster will randomly stop working, all gauges except oil pressure and volt gauge. i got a used gauge and just put it in and it has the same issue, one thing i noticed is when i press the reset button on the gauge it will work again, but i have to hold the button down, i can figure out most mechanical issues but when it comes to electrical i never know where to begin, so any ideas or answers are greatly appreciated. thanks guys
    Stephen- Massachusetts
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Dear Members, I'm not a certified mechanic i just have a decent knowledge and about 4 years of hands on experience, I'm no way close to a expert but I'm trying to give my best input so bear with my responses please, thanks

When you said you got a used gauge and it had the same issue ... did you mean you got a single gauge and replace it ... or did you get a used cluster and replace the whole cluster?

Sr. Apprentice

the whole cluster, also more info of issues, the main reason the gauges dying is a issue to me is because it messes up my shifting and i loose overdrive so i basicly can't do highway speeds without being at a minimum 4krpms
    Stephen- Massachusetts
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Dear Members, I'm not a certified mechanic i just have a decent knowledge and about 4 years of hands on experience, I'm no way close to a expert but I'm trying to give my best input so bear with my responses please, thanks

Have you checked the harness that plugs into the cluster to make sure none of the wires in it are loose?

Sr. Apprentice

yea, all of them are good, i just dont understand why pressing in the reset button will toggle them to come back on
    Stephen- Massachusetts
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Sr. Apprentice

anyone have any idea?
    Stephen- Massachusetts
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Bad grounds have a way of making whacky things happen. That's my guess.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I had very similar issues in my 97 the cluster would stop working and the tranny would go into limp mode. Then the next time I cranked it, it would be normal, then bad, then normal and finally it stayed in limp mode and the cluster was shut down. I wound up needing a new wiring harness and it fixed my probelms.

Luke
    '02 Chevrolet 2500hd
    6.6 Duramax LB7
    3.5" Straight Pipe
    4" MBRP Black Exhaust Tip
    Tow Mirrors
    TSC Black Low Profile Tool Box
    Maverick Brush Guard

Sr. Apprentice

im just confused with the fact that when they go dead if i press in the reset button on the cluster it will kick them back on but as soon as i let go of it they die back out. Where does that button feed into? besides cluster that i know but does anyone know electrically what happens when you press in the button? does the radio tie into the cluster? when i got my truck it did this maybe once every 6 months, then slowly increased to the point where it does it all the time, and ive noticed as this issue got worse the radio illumination started to slowly die out of the radio, now im at the point where the only thing that lights up is the actual display, its probably coincidence but just another idea i had
    Stephen- Massachusetts
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Gotta be a loose connection. When you press it in it works. You could try to pull out the cluster, look at the connector to see if a wire or some wires are not all the way into the plug, or loose.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast