GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Carbon Black Metallic GMC Sierra

My soon to be delivered GMC Sierra is carbon black metallic in colour. I'm getting a paint treatment that supposedly fills in all the valleys that occur in the factory paint and thus eliminate dirt getting trapped in these valleys. This treatment is said to eliminate the need for waxing for 5 years. Now, has anyone had this done to their vehicle and if yes what's you opinion - Was it worth it.
    Another question, what is the best way to clean this colour without swirl marks
    Richard (Winnipeg, MB Canada) - 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4x2 (Carbon Black Metallic) -Z71 - 5.3 L V8 - 3.42's
    Leer 100R truck cap; Chrome clad aluminum wheels (18"); custom cat-back dual side exits (4" diameter Magnaflow SS tips) exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler (18"); Cloud Rider stainless steel grill overlay

Master Mechanic

wow no waxing for 5 years, where do I sign up? I've never heard of this process so I'd be interested in seeing the results. Is that part of a protection package you can buy from the dealer that warranties the interior and exterior for a certain number of years?

For controlling possible swirl marks that could occur when cleaning always keep your wash brush clean as well as the absorber cloths you are using to dry off the vehicle. I always spray off the wash brush throughout the washing process to rid of any particles that could cause scratches. For drying, some people recommend using a leaf blower or similar tool to blow the water off the vehicle. Doing that would probably help since you wouldn't be putting an absorber cloth against the paint. When you have to though, again I clean the cloth before/after and shake it out during. All my detailing cloths are microfiber too.

AMac - Yes, this process is called "Platinum Shield Paint Protection" and is sold as a package or individually by the dealership and includes Undercoat protection, Rust protection, Fabric protection and Leather/Vinyl protection.
    This paint protection is supposed to completely seal the paint and create a smooth durable finish. It is also intended to protect and enhance the truck's clear coat with no requirement for waxing or reapplication.
    How does your truck sound with the Flowmaster 40 series muffler ???
    The truck is a factory order so I should be getting it in a week or two and when I do I'll put up some pictures
    Last edited by carbon black; 04-15-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    Richard (Winnipeg, MB Canada) - 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4x2 (Carbon Black Metallic) -Z71 - 5.3 L V8 - 3.42's
    Leer 100R truck cap; Chrome clad aluminum wheels (18"); custom cat-back dual side exits (4" diameter Magnaflow SS tips) exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler (18"); Cloud Rider stainless steel grill overlay

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by carbon black View Post
    AMac - Yes, this process is called "Platinum Shield Paint Protection" and is sold as a package or individually by the dealership and includes Undercoat protection, Rust protection, Fabric protection and Leather/Vinyl protection.
    This paint protection is supposed to completely seal the paint and create a smooth durable finish. It is also intended to protect and enhance the truck's clear coat with no requirement for waxing or reapplication.
    How does your truck sound with the Flowmaster 40 series muffler ???
    The truck is a factory order so I should be getting it in a week or two and when I do I'll put up some pictures
    I like the 40 series very much, it's somewhat quiet when driving slow through quiet neighborhoods and if I have the radio on it's not disruptive to the point where it's annoying.

As far as paint protection packages I had purchased a package like that and I remember they did something to the exterior but I don't think it is the same thing. I still have all of the detailing products that came with the package though and really like the tire shine stuff. Overspray cleans nicely off the rims and it's got a nice finish. Did/will you get a package of detailing products as well? That carbon black is going to look so sweet when it's all shined up and I can't wait to see some pics!