GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Does anyone have Air horns/Train Horns on their truck?

Im looking into putting a single air horn on my 85 Silverado. I know a lot of guys with RAMs have them but you hardly ever see a chevy with one. On side note: Yes I know air horns are technically illegal...

How I am going to install mine:

A buddy is giving me a single trumpet style horn. Im going to fab up a air tank out of high pressure PVC pipe and mount it under the truck some where haven't decided exactly where yet. Then ill make it where its easy to fill up and maintain. It will be operated on a 12 volt solenoid on a momentary switch in the cab.

Royce
    BUILT, NOT BOUGHT
    1985 Chevy Silverado Longbed 4WD
    400 Chevy Small Block/400 Chevy Transmission
    Detroit Lockers Front & Rear/4.10 Gears
    35" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains/6" Rough Country Suspension lift

I had them on an old blazer I had. Great for scaring people at walmart.

No PVC pipe. Just get you a 1 gal air tank. Alot safer and is made for your intended use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=B000O7WM2I

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Lancaster View Post
    On side note: Yes I know air horns are technically illegal...

Royce
    Depends on how loud it is. If it falls within your state's limit, then it should be legal. If it blows leaves off of trees and makes cats screech, then it's probably not within those limits!

Use a pressure regulator. That's how you adjust the volume on those. If you use an adjustable regulator, you can really rip out the sound and then turn it down when you want.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by 07XCSB View Post

No PVC pipe. Just get you a 1 gal air tank. Alot safer and is made for your intended use.

X2 I used to have ome onmy cummins ram. Coming from someone in the pipe business do not use PVC. Get that 1 gallon tank and find a cheap compressor off Craigslist or something I'd put it face down underneath your bed it'll scream. I had that first. Then a friend got rid of his so I grabbed his horns and ran a set up front and keep the original set up. It was too loud great for game days tho,ROLL TIDE. Anyway if your lucky you can get the whole set up for 100 bucs. There's a white Chevy classic here with the triple horn set up on his room. Not a fan but it's loud
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Story about train horns on a big truck , was following two other trucks a few years ago on hwy 13 in Tenn. On the CB a driver said his sister usaually sits on the front porch in the mornings . We got close and sure she was sitting on the porch reading a newspaper, he blasted those horns, newpaper went flying and she jumped straight up out her chair. He got a phone call but wouldn't repeat what she said.

Blog Entries

I love the air horns on my work truck. I blast them at just about everybody I know that I see running down the road, and use them to also scare the deer away from the roadways when I see them. Definitely plan on installing a set on my Chevy in the future.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    I love the air horns on my work truck. I blast them at just about everybody I know that I see running down the road, and use them to also scare the deer away from the roadways when I see them. Definitely plan on installing a set on my Chevy in the future.
    Air Horns are defiantly attention getters.

Quote Originally Posted by jnbama View Post
    Story about train horns on a big truck , was following two other trucks a few years ago on hwy 13 in Tenn. On the CB a driver said his sister usaually sits on the front porch in the mornings . We got close and sure she was sitting on the porch reading a newspaper, he blasted those horns, newpaper went flying and she jumped straight up out her chair. He got a phone call but wouldn't repeat what she said.
    My family owns a beach house in Myrtle Beach about 15-20 mins away from what everyone around there calls the "strip" or "the main drag," on any given night between April and September there are thousands of people out, shopping and checking out the boardwalk attractions. Not to mention all the hot chicks, so I think Ill have some fun with the horn around there.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmitchell1 View Post
    X2 I used to have ome onmy cummins ram. Coming from someone in the pipe business do not use PVC. Get that 1 gallon tank and find a cheap compressor off Craigslist or something I'd put it face down underneath your bed it'll scream. I had that first. Then a friend got rid of his so I grabbed his horns and ran a set up front and keep the original set up. It was too loud great for game days tho,ROLL TIDE. Anyway if your lucky you can get the whole set up for 100 bucs. There's a white Chevy classic here with the triple horn set up on his room. Not a fan but it's loud
    Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    Depends on how loud it is. If it falls within your state's limit, then it should be legal. If it blows leaves off of trees and makes cats screech, then it's probably not within those limits!

Use a pressure regulator. That's how you adjust the volume on those. If you use an adjustable regulator, you can really rip out the sound and then turn it down when you want.
    Thanks for the info, luckily I happen to have one of them laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by 07XCSB View Post

The only reason Im considering using PVC is because I have a lot of it laying around the shop, and Im on a tight budget, but I think I have a 2 gallon air tank around the shop somewhere just have to find it.

Will keep you updated on this upgrade.

Sr. Apprentice

Default update

I ordered my solenoid for the horn, got my buddy to let me borrow one of his horns and get my system all set up.

Also I found a old welding tank that will fit under my tool box that I'm planing to use as my air tank.

Do you guys think i should use a regulator, if so what should it be set at? Its a horn off of a MACK truck..

I say use a regulator. What setting, well you will have to play with different setting to get the sound and DB you want. The reg will keep from blowing the horn's diaphram out.

If you're just planning to fill the tank up from a shop compressor, you could use a regulator to extend your blowing time. Get a real tank (not PVC, small tanks are cheap enough), fill it to recommended max, or max air pressure you can get from your shop compressor, and regulate it down to get longer blasts. Remember though that loudness isn't just about air pressure, it also depends on volume of air to your horns (cfm). With a single horn, you should be alright, but eventually you may want to upgrade to multi-chime horns, and air volume will be more critical. Bigger air lines are always better. I've got two Nathan Airchimes, but only mount one at a time (no room for both). Since I have onboard compressors (capable of 200 psi), I use a pressure switch instead of a regulator. Mine's set at 145 psi, but you can get them at just about any pressure you want. Just think about the future when installing,...what you may eventually want to have in a setup, so that you can avoid having to do it all a second time when you upgrade.
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by