GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should OBD III be banned?

I just heard about OBD III, the next standard replacing OBD II and while I think there are some good points to it, It also seems a little invasive and illegal.

http://lobby.la.psu.edu/_107th/093_O..._questions.htm

If you search around the internet there are key points that let me know I will not be buying a new vehicle of any kind that has OBD III:

• It automatically transmits the fault codes to the government so they can track your vehicle, they will also use this technology to send warning letters to the owner and fines if the problem is not fixed.
    • It allows them to track your phone calls if you are using the vehicles hands free dialing and they will know if you were on the phone when an accident happens.

I am sure there are other points in there, but I am still reading about it.

Thanks for posting this, it is always good to be informed ahead of time when big brother is trying to get further into our rights and privacy. Must vote out all politicians that do not understand and or respect the constitution. As Charlie Brown would say, "Good Grief"

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Blog Entries

I'm sure some of these things that are infringement on our privacy won't go through. If they do, it's just one step closer to total chaos.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

Remember who brought you this law, it's part of a larger package of laws passed by Congress.
    This is why it's not only important to vote but to be very informed on how your particular representative is voting on policies.
    Dont just vote for the person that spews the best lines at campaign time, do research and find out what their track record is and how they represent you.

I recently read an article about proposed modifications and additions to OBD III that expand the intrusion into your life even further:
    They would like to add GPS with memory to track vehicle location for retrieval at later unspecified dates, not that I'm gonna commit a crime but wht right does the goverment have to know where my car was on a certain date?
    A program to track vehicle operation and driver habits, what their gonna read it a month later and send me a speeding ticket ?
    And driver I.D. programs, we can get driver I.D. but we cant get positive I.D. at the voting polls?

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I just heard about OBD III, the next standard replacing OBD II and while I think there are some good points to it, It also seems a little invasive and illegal.

http://lobby.la.psu.edu/_107th/093_O..._questions.htm

If you search around the internet there are key points that let me know I will not be buying a new vehicle of any kind that has OBD III:

• It automatically transmits the fault codes to the government so they can track your vehicle, they will also use this technology to send warning letters to the owner and fines if the problem is not fixed.
    • It allows them to track your phone calls if you are using the vehicles hands free dialing and they will know if you were on the phone when an accident happens.

I am sure there are other points in there, but I am still reading about it.
    This is crazy, This is unfortunatly where technology is not good. Our kids or our grandkid's future doesnt look promising.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

what in the world? who thought this crap up and decided it was a good idea? something to be said for a older truck, manual everything and a carb, simple, easy to work on, and no computers for the government to mess with. this crap is getting nuts.

last few paragraphs....

""COOPERATIVE TECHNIQUES" For Police Pursuit/Mobilization The cooperative techniques comprise devices that are installed on automobiles. These devices would receive a coded radio frequency signal that would produce a progressive speed reduction or shut down the automobile. The speed reduction and shut down could be incorporated in the On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) III system that is planned for implementation in the year 2000 and later. This system is planned to have a radio transponder for reading out automobile status including vehicle number and smog equipment fault codes.
    The major obstacle to overcome is to get public acceptance of a device that they have to pay for and that can disable their automobile. One way to obtain public acceptance may be to offer incentives by including this device as part of a package that provides other benefits. These benefits could be an anti-theft device and/or a smog readout device. The smog readout device could eliminate the need for costly and time-consuming periodic inspections at smog stations. With the idea that the only time you would need to go to an inspection station is when the automobile exceeds smog-generating limits.
    In addition to public acceptance, this approach will require federal government, state government and car manufacturer cooperation.
    The use of a cooperative device has strong appeal because of effectiveness, safety and ease of use. Incorporating the overall system as part of a larger subsystem would reduce cost and make it more attractive."

i read that an say no way on gods green earth is that a good idea. flat out lying to people, and then getting them to pay for it.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

well what theyre basically tellling us is anything we do outside of our homes (for now anyway) is considered public. Including what we are doing in and with our vehicles. Try to go and park with the Girlfriend these days and On-star is going to come across your radio asking if you brought protection with you?lol Just a thought

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

This is ridiculous, but will never stop. They'll continue to push devices like this so they can track everything about us. Where we see technology as giving us more convenience and capabilities, they see it as enabling themselves to track everything we do. If this does become a standard, I'll be staying with older vehicles. There's nothing that can't be done in the aftermarket that is provided on a new truck. It just might not be as convenient.

As far as the hands-free dialing usage while in an accident, how exactly is that applicable unless there's a law disallowing it? Texting? Sure, I can see getting the cell phone records to see if they were texting at the time. I don't particularly care for the idea of them doing it, but I can see where it's applicable. Texting is dangerous as heck. But hands-free calling? My dad was telling me a few months ago how they're looking at laws to outlaw any hands free calling features. Well, there goes my on-star. And what precisely is the difference between that and singing along to my radio?

I can go off on this for a while, but I'll leave it there. It's sad though... There are so many incredible technological advances I'm sure we'll see over the next 10 years in our beloved trucks... However, something like this will prevent me from ever seeing it from the factory. When I do hand the keys over to my kids on my current truck, I might have to just get myself another of a similar year and start working on it all over again....

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

I would love to see all this data in a scanner for tuning a truck or car, but some of this stuff I would think would require a warrent because it is an unlawfull search of your vehicle.

Blog Entries

I could have sworn that this was an issue a couple of years ago. I remember reading most of that article elsewhere. I'll be happy to be stuck with both an OBD-I and OBD-II for awhile anyway, if it goes through.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast