GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Transfer case noise

I have a 1999 Silverado z71 i just got and i have noticed when you put it in reverse it has a "clunking" noise coming from the TC. This noise also occurs sometimes when i am going down the road and the truck shifts i will hear it (not as loud as reverse). The TC leaks on the front seal where the rear drive shaft goes in but i know there is fluid in there because i have checked it. I was told by a mechanic that the chains are getting worn out inside (after only 126k miles) he said additive may help. What do you guys think? should i chance additive or get it rebuilt so i don't get stranded when it decides to go south? I have a hard time believing the chains get worn out after 126k miles.

Do you have push button 4wd? I always thought that they were belt not chains with the push button.

Quote Originally Posted by TnT817 View Post
    Do you have push button 4wd? I always thought that they were belt not chains with the push button.
    Yeah, mines push button

The 99-02 came with the NP246 TC, They are chain driven cases, It does sound like your chain has stretched or your U joints are bad. I see alot of bad U joints diagnosed as bad T case's and rear ends. I don't trust 95% of the repair shops out there. If your chain is stretched, go ahead and have it rebuilt. As for your @ only 126k miles. It depends on how the truck has been treated. You can tear something up in 5k miles if your try. Its all about how something is cared for. If you beat the piss out of something, you are going to break things.

id check u joints before tearing into the T-case. 126 k I could see a u joint. the T-case needing a rebuild already? not as much. u joints are easy to check anyhow. if it were me, id start there.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by 07XCSB View Post
    The 99-02 came with the NP246 TC, They are chain driven cases, It does sound like your chain has stretched or your U joints are bad. I see alot of bad U joints diagnosed as bad T case's and rear ends. I don't trust 95% of the repair shops out there. If your chain is stretched, go ahead and have it rebuilt. As for your @ only 126k miles. It depends on how the truck has been treated. You can tear something up in 5k miles if your try. Its all about how something is cared for. If you beat the piss out of something, you are going to break things.
    thanks for the reply. The original owner was a retired guy who drove it back and forth to the Refinery everyday. The whole truck is in excellent condition there is no rust or anything. Tonight after work i am going to check the U Joints hopefully i luck out and thats the problem.

Keep us posted on what you find. Sounds like your truck was well cared for. I have 416k miles on my 99 and I've never had trouble out of my T case, But it's on it's 5th set of U joints. I just put a set in my 07 @ 120k miles.

The U joints are fine.. clunking is coming from transfer case :( i raised it up on the lift at work i guess i'll have it rebuilt

Well i got a chain and bearing kit put in my transfer case and the good news it needed done because it was wearing the inside of the case. The bad news is it still clunks pretty loud when i put it in reverse. While they was in the transfer case they re balanced my drive shaft and put all new u joints in along with an output bushing.