GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Emblems?

Default Emblems?

Whats the best way to peel of the emblems on my truck? Then what should I use to re-apply them?

A plastic puddy spreader/knife. Less chance of scratching the paint than with a metal one. 3M two side tape to reattach. Stick the 3m on the back of the emblem and trim off the extra with a razor blade.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 07XCSB View Post
    A plastic puddy spreader/knife. Less chance of scratching the paint than with a metal one. 3M two side tape to reattach. Stick the 3m on the back of the emblem and trim off the extra with a razor blade.
    Make sure you trim off the extra BEFORE applying it to the truck. I know that sounds obvious, but sometimes you gotta state the obvious ;)

If you don't have a puddy knife, you can use a credit card (don't use one that you still need) and a heat gun. If there is still residue from the old tape or whatever they use, glass cleaner helps take that off or you can spend some money and get an eraser wheel for your grinder/drill if you have one.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    Make sure you trim off the extra BEFORE applying it to the truck. I know that sounds obvious, but sometimes you gotta state the obvious ;)

If you don't have a puddy knife, you can use a credit card (don't use one that you still need) and a heat gun. If there is still residue from the old tape or whatever they use, glass cleaner helps take that off or you can spend some money and get an eraser wheel for your grinder/drill if you have one.

Good Point... You can also use rubbing alcohol to romove the residue.
    A spatula with a good edge work also. You can also cut the enblem off with fishing line.
    Last edited by 07XCSB; 04-15-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Thanks you all for the tips, trying them as we speak. Im just painting one emblem black.

Master Mechanic

To remove emblems I recommend a heat gun and using fishing line to work between the emblem and the vehicle. Doing this will likely separate the adhesive from the emblem and then you can remove the adhesive from the vehicle using your thumb to rub it off. Any remaining adhesive can be removed with lacquer thinner or an adhesive remover like TW's sticker and label remover. There are plenty of YouTube videos promoting this method. As suggested above, for reapplying the emblems, 3M has an adhesive that is carried by your local Walmart or auto parts store. I just picked some up the other day in it was about $4.85 for a roll. When removing emblems, be patient and don't try to pull them off because a corner of the emblem can dig into the paint which result in scratches.

Blog Entries

I have tried the fishing line technique and while it does work, a plastic putty knife is a lot easier on your hands. I admit I wasn't wearing gloves with the fishing line, but it was not pleasant.....
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

I've used dental floss to remove emblems and used rubbing alcohol to remove the rest of the residue and then 3m tape.
    Randy AKA (Sparky)
    06 Z71 5.3L flex fuel
    6" fabTech lift
    LT315/70R17 BF All Terrain
    Pro Comp Series 1059 Wheels
    weather Tech rain shields
    Spectra air filter and air duct tube
    Cheap camo seat covers :lol: