GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

I'm thinking about enlisting in the Navy and look into being a SeaBee but I didn't tell yall this SHH!

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

When I get back next year I've been looking at the Denver area and Texas personally. I don't do anything even slightly related to what you do, but the overall economy is good in both places as is the general cost of living. I prefer Denver because of the mountains, snowboarding, etc.. People I currently work with have slowly been talking me into giving Texas a shot. I loved southern california, but it's just too expensive unless you want a LONG commute. My home is currently in Washington, but... eh. It's a place to live for me. I have no plans to stay there. The easiest place for me to get a job is in the Maryland, DC, VA area, but then you also have much higher cost of living, so I'm not sure about that yet.

That might have just been a huge rant that doesn't help at all. If so, I'm sorry. I've just looked at similar things, albeit in a completely different industry.

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp

Well, you guys have been a big help so far. I put in some apps in VA and TN this morning so far. I need all the help and input I can get so keep them coming. Thanks.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Come on Guys and Gals, Still need input about jobs in the woodworking industry and nice places to live. All input is appreciated.

Sadly I know nothing about the woodworking industry.... :(

My friends father owns wheeler wood works in lawernceville,ga that's all I know bout wood working around here. They do some high end stuff
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    I'm thinking about enlisting in the Navy and look into being a SeaBee but I didn't tell yall this SHH!
    Nothing wrong with enlisting into a branch of service sir! I myself am getting ready to enlist into the Marine Corps soon, I just need to drop a whole 15 pounds before they let me swear in and then another 10 pounds before I am able to ship out, which by then won't be too hard. I've already hit my 210 plateau, and it was funny seeing myself weigh 214 yesterday, and then 210 today after I ate lunch. I guess eating chicken after working my muscles pretty hard makes your body eat itself while you sleep ^.^

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

Seen lots of places to live, not not for work. Try searchin www.usajobs.gov and www.avuecenteral.com for some federal work around the country. Although I'm extremely biased, I have the website for the Nevada state jobs if you're interested. Little bit of everything out here as well so far as out door rec stuff! Good luck with your search and let us know how it goes!
    @rileyjr16 & @Ridyn , good luck on your enlistments! Finished up 9 years myself in the Navy. Keep an open mind about your prospective commands, and don't let anybody else tell you how great or crappy it is!
    Last edited by Drake_korthos; 04-17-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added link

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab Z71 4X4 5.3L Flex Fuel
    MagnaFlow single in duel out system
    Volant CAI & Ram Air Scoop with Power Core Filter
    Rhino Tuff Grip Spray in Bed liner
    Undercover Classic Tonneau
    Trail FX Bug "deflector"
    AVS Window Deflectors
    Black Powder Coated Nerf Bars
    RECON L.E.D. Interior, 3rd Cab light, Projector headlights, and Taillights
    ATX Crawl Wheels wrapped in BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain tires
    CalTrend Neoprene seat covers
    2" leveling kit from Max Trac
    Diablo Trinity with Diablew Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Ridyn View Post
    Nothing wrong with enlisting into a branch of service sir! I myself am getting ready to enlist into the Marine Corps soon, I just need to drop a whole 15 pounds before they let me swear in and then another 10 pounds before I am able to ship out, which by then won't be too hard. I've already hit my 210 plateau, and it was funny seeing myself weigh 214 yesterday, and then 210 today after I ate lunch. I guess eating chicken after working my muscles pretty hard makes your body eat itself while you sleep ^.^
    Been there and done that buddy lol. I got a med discharge from DEP from torn ligaments in my left ankle and my run time went from 10 flat to 1330 which is passing but not by RSS Baton Rouge's standards. Thanks @Drake_korthos my brother said no since he just got out but I'm 20 frickin years old I should make up my own darn mind lol

The Northeast is great for a lot of things but cost of living and cheap rent aren't on the list. My in-laws just bought a place outside of Wilmington, NC and I love it there. I admit that I don't know much about the job market there, although it's an area that's growing. The fishing and outdoor life there is great, and you have access to a lot in that area. I don't know how close the furniture industry is to Wilmington, but that might be a good source of income if it's in the area. I also have relatives in central Texas which is very nice, although very hot in the summer.

Good luck with your search, and let us know where you end up.
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light