GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Roof Rack Opinions

Good morning all! Quite a dreary one here in Louisiana... On to my questions. I've always enjoyed to look of a simple roof rack. Nothing that is really functional, mainly just 2 parallel roof rails for aesthetic reasons. Has anyone found any that look decent? I like the ones on the 2011 crew cab Silverado. I'm not too sure about the fit on my extended cab. Here's a picture of the ones I'm partial to.

I think it would fit on an extended cab truck just fine. I'm not too sure about the look though...
    GM Part# 19166253 btw.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

While browsing a Duramax forum I found this picture.

Seeing it from the side really reinforces my opinion in it fitting my extended cab. And just to clear it up, I'm just interested in the part that attaches to the truck. I'm not interested in the cross bars.

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Color-matched mirror covers and emblem
    20% tinted windows - 6" eyebrow
    Black rear fender-wells
    Completely debadged and demolded
    Duramax airbox replacement w/ K&N filter
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Flowmaster Delta 50 w/ double tip exits
    Blue footwell lighting
    12" Pioneer Sub (custom downfire box) 850W amp
    Full LED interior

My mother always taught me that if I had nothing good to say ... say nothing. If I hadn't been raised that way I'd tell you what I think of OEM roof racks...

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    My mother always taught me that if I had nothing good to say ... say nothing. If I hadn't been raised that way I'd tell you what I think of OEM roof racks...
    Oh I know what you mean. You either love them or hate them.

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Color-matched mirror covers and emblem
    20% tinted windows - 6" eyebrow
    Black rear fender-wells
    Completely debadged and demolded
    Duramax airbox replacement w/ K&N filter
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Flowmaster Delta 50 w/ double tip exits
    Blue footwell lighting
    12" Pioneer Sub (custom downfire box) 850W amp
    Full LED interior

Well if anything, the roof rails give you the functionality to add other items should the need arise. We also carry a full line of racks and baskets, would any of these work for you?

Click the ^banner^ and save up to 15% on Chevy mods.
    We price match, simply call 888-591-8563 or
    Click-to-Chat and
    we'll beat ANY price by $1.

*View our 2011 Silverado Build Page here

Can't do it. Would kill the looks of the truck. But that's just my opinion.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Love or hate roof racks the one thing that comes to mind for me when thinking of adding a roof rack is the fact that be it a roof rack or a sun roof I've never had good luck putting holes in the top of my vehicles, it always ended up with me fighting a leak of some sort.
    With that said I saw an extracab Chevy with a factory style rack on the highway last week. It was the first one I'd seen so I just assumed it was a factory offering and I hadnt seen many of them.
    It looked a little long and my immpression was it'd look better if you could take a few inchs out of it.

This may sound like a shameless plug....

If you are going to do that....paint them to match the truck or Hydro Dip them in a Carbon Fiber etc....

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Blog Entries

I say if they have no function and only form, don't do it. But I'm one of those function over form types. I've been thinking of getting those rails myself, but I eventually want a basket on the cab, so that's my reasoning for it ;)
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Yeah, I wouldn't put holes in my roof if it was purely for cosmetic reasons. I have a bar that is removable over the cab, but it clamps in from the side. I did put holes in the camper shell, but it wasn't as critical if that leaked or not. BTW, it doesn't leak thanks to the help of a little silicon. Mine is also about function over form, since it's ugly as hell to most!!
    -Sal

2008 Silverado 1500 LT 5.3L Crew Cab
    Desert Brown Metallic

Century top, Yakima roof rack, 2.5" front lift, Readylift 3" rear blocks, Line-x bedliner, step bars, AVS vent visors, Weathertech floor liners, door sill guards, power tailgate lock, tailgate damper, KC light bar w/ PIAA 525s, rear mini-light bar, rear LED reverse/utility lights, dual batteries (Cole Hersee isolator), DIC upgrade, 20" GM wheels, Cooper Discoverer A/T3s, 26 gal. onboard air (twin Viair 480Cs), Nathan Airchime K3HA / Old cast 2nd Gen. P3 Horns, Graham White valve, bell

Past Chevys: 1985 S-10 ext.cab, 1963 BelAir sedan

Well, you didn't get a lot of positive answerers, I have the factory rack on my Avalanche, probably the same one that is used on the crew cab in your photo.

Out of the box, it is probably too long for an extended cab.

However, the end piece only connect to the rails, the rails are pieces of extruded aluminum.

They can be cut to fit your roof.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)