GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Level headed 02

Default Level headed 02

I'm looking to level out my 02 Silverado 4x4.
    Whats the best way to do it? Keys and longer shocks, or keys and shock relocation brackets?
    I've had lifted trucks with big suspension. I don't want that on my everyday driver anymore so I'm just looking to make my truck have a tougher stance and not sacrifice too much comfort.
    Also, I'm pretty new to this forum. I've already had a bunch of questions about my truck answered just by poking around. I'm not one to leave well enough alone so more mods are in my trucks future. I look forward to talking to you guys..Thanks for your help...

Legend

I'd say some keys for your torsion bars would be the best bet. But I don't think you'll have to put in new shocks for an inch or so?

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

There are so many options when it comes to keys. Is there one brand thats the best? I've been looking at the ORU kit, Suspension MAXX, and TRUXX kits. I wouldn't mind spending the 500 bucks if i got the ride height and suspension feel I want. So I'm leaning towards the keys, 4 shocks, and blocks for the rear.
    I put a few turns on the stock keys the other day. I put a turn on them before i felt much resistance. I went 3 turns in and it made a difference. bumped the front end up about half an inch but the real benefit was the ride improvement. No dive under braking, no wallowing though corners, and very little change in comfort...
    I still want to do the leveling kit though...still doesn't stand tough like i want.
    2002 Silverado LS 4x4

Legend

Ya gotta be carefull, aftermarket torsion bar keys allow you to put way, way too much preload on the torsion bars which leads to increased wear and tear on your ball joints and cv joints and destroys your ride quality. I would just crank up the preload on the torsion bars with the OEM adjustment keys.
    It sounds like you already know alot about this stuff. This is just what I've been told.

KRIS
    2007 GMC Sierra CrewCab 4.8L
    Tinted Windows, 20" Chrome MB Predators on 275/55/20 Copper AT's, GM Bed Rug, Speed Scene Chrome Grille, Putco Chrome Handles, Hypertech Max Energy Programmer, Magnaflow Muffler and many more mods to come.
    Former GM Vehicles:
    96 Chevy Camaro. My first car modded for a High School kid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlimyAvocado View Post
    There are so many options when it comes to keys. Is there one brand thats the best? I've been looking at the ORU kit, Suspension MAXX, and TRUXX kits. I wouldn't mind spending the 500 bucks if i got the ride height and suspension feel I want. So I'm leaning towards the keys, 4 shocks, and blocks for the rear.
    I put a few turns on the stock keys the other day. I put a turn on them before i felt much resistance. I went 3 turns in and it made a difference. bumped the front end up about half an inch but the real benefit was the ride improvement. No dive under braking, no wallowing though corners, and very little change in comfort...
    I still want to do the leveling kit though...still doesn't stand tough like i want.
    I bought a set of Keys through Suspension Maxx and a set of Bilstien shocks (1-1 1/2" lift in the front and 1" rear) because I was told with using the leveling kit that the front shocks will top out causing a rougher ride. Keep in mind also that if you do ANY turning on the torsion bars, it will put your truck out of alignment causing increased tire wear etc. So after any changes made you should take it to an alignment shop.

to the club!
    Last edited by dwill3015; 11-19-2007 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

I was wondering if the alignment would be off. I kind of thought the change would be negligible, but I guess any change is change, and tire wear is tire wear.
    I'm going to also get a set of BFG AT's soon. I'll have it re-aligned then...hopefully by then I'll have decided on and installed the leveling kit..

How much stiffer is your ride with the leveling kit dwill3015? have any issues with the install or wearing parts?
    2002 Silverado LS 4x4

Blog Entries

Here's my story:
    When I bought my truck at the dealer, it had the aftermarket wheels and tires on it as part of the "Northwest Package". I did plenty of research on these trucks before I bought mine and already knew I was going to buy the leveling kit. It sat higher than stock already and the sales manager told me it had a "Mini Lift" installed by a local tire chain so I was pleased. At about 800miles I took it to my local tire store (same chain) and they pointed out that my tires were "cupped" showing abnormal wear. I took it back to the dealer to find out what the deal was and they sent me to tire store. The manager told me there was no lift on the truck and that someone at the dealer must have turned up the torsion bars for more clearence for the wider tires. The dealer denied it and pointed fingers at the tire shop who pointed fiingers at the dealer. I finally was told that GM would provide 1 free alignment so I took it to a different dealer and was told that in fact the torsion bars were turned scewing up the toe. I then bought the keys and the shocks to install but have not yet.

When turning the torsion bars to raise the front end, you are increasing thier tension resulting a rougher ride the more they are turned. By adding the keys it allows the bars themselves to have stock tension on them resulting in a stock feeling suspension.

FYI: 1-month after purchasing my truck, GM pulled thier dealership and they are now just a big used car lot.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

That sounds like it was a big PIA...Northwest package? was that something the dealer made up?
    I'm going to get the full kit. Keys, longer shocks, and blocks for the rear.
    I'll do it when I get my new ATs and have it re-aligned.
    Thanks for the info...Thats a good looking truck. I don't think I've ever seen a sliverado around here in yellow...
    2002 Silverado LS 4x4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlimyAvocado View Post
    That sounds like it was a big PIA...Northwest package? was that something the dealer made up?
    I'm going to get the full kit. Keys, longer shocks, and blocks for the rear.
    I'll do it when I get my new ATs and have it re-aligned.
    Thanks for the info...Thats a good looking truck. I don't think I've ever seen a sliverado around here in yellow...
    Thanks! The picture does not do it justice as the color is brighter like a late 60's-early 70's muscle car yellow and not the bright orangey yellows on the newer fords and even the Colorado. The dealers have to order 20 in order to get a special color (like a fleet for a business) and mine was accuired by the dealer through a swap with the dealer that had the special order so it is a very rare color.

As far as lifts go, I'm going with the full blown IFS 4" lift next spring allong with some new skins. Tire shop quoted price $2450 for the lift and $1600 for a set of Toyo open country M/T 33"x20's. So, when I get my credit card paid down so I can afford the $4000
    Darcy
    Washington State

Blog Entries

I found this on another site and even though it is twice the lift height and a nice bright Corvette yellow but it give s me a good visual
    Darcy
    Washington State

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast