GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: dirty engine

Default dirty engine

Might sound stupid but how do i clean my engine without killing it? I have an 09 with the 5.3 and live in farmville ca so its pretty dirty in there. It would be nice to do it without worriying about losing it to the dealer to get it running again. Thanks in advance for any help

Get a good degreaser and a hose. Don't use a pressure washer. Just a garden hose with a spray nosel will be enough.

Dont need to cover anything? Just low pressure?

Well... look at it this way... when you are driving 65 in heavy rain, the engine bay gets soaked with rain water being blown and sucked through the grille and radiator. The fan sprays it like a fire hose. You should be fine, just don't use any high pressure to drill into the electronics...
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I use the pressure washer but fan the spray all the way out and turn the pressure down. But under the engine is a different ballgame, let it soak in degreaser for about an hour or so then boom! Blast the hell out of it. I can't stand dirt and hate it when you're working on something, then move a part and all kinds of dirt comes down in your face.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Simple Green a hose and keep it running thats what i do.

2003 single cab stepside Chev 1500, 6" rough coutnry lift, 4' firestick cb whips, cobra ltd cb radio.
    Next mods: flowmaster 10series muffler and exhaust (in process)
    1.5" zone body lift
    315/70r16 cooper stt once the 305s wear out

Sold-1996 Audi A4 lowered on H&R ultra low coils running 19" mercedes wheels, limo tint, borla exhaust
    New ride 96 VW jetta lowered 2.0l 5 spd

Garden hose and good degreaser. Shut the engine off while you spray it down, and give it some time to let the water run down before starting it. Try your best to not directly spray the sensors and electronics. But you should be fine.
    Please Tell Your Boobs To Quit Staring At My Eyes

Good info. Thank you guys again. Just a little worried about screwing something up. Looks like ill be trying it out this weekend