GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Question Rough Running 97 burb

I have a K1500 5.7l 4x4 suburban. The last week or so it's been idling rough, but smooths out once it warms up. Yesterday, it started rough and kept getting worse. Then my SES light started flashing. Not just on constant, but flashing. I shut it down to avoid any damage (hopefully). I should also mention that I replaced the thermostat about a month ago. I've been trying to get all the air out of the cooling system, but still get some gurgles in the overflow tank when I shut down. When the stat went bad, it got up to about 240 on the guage, but I shut it down as quick as I could. I'm hoping this is a fuel issue, but afraid it's more serious. Any thoughts?

Just checked fuel pressure. running 15-40psi. should be 60. guess I'll drop the tank and replace the pump and related parts.

Flashing light indicates a condition that will harm the cats. Rich fuel usually. When it flashes at you, you need to shut it down to avoid damage. gurgling back into the coolant overflow bottle is not good. That can indicate a blown head gasket. You should let it cool, drain the radiator to half and use a block tester to look for CO2 in the coolant. If the fluid stays blue in the block tester, you're good. If it turns yellow, you're going to be doing heads.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I sure hope you didn't blow a head gasket. That just isn't a fun way to spend you time and/or money. Maybe you'll luck out, and find out it's OK, but yeah... do a test on the heads soon.
    I like you.

Change out the fuel filter.

Cheap item to test, if still running rough, your not out a lot of money.
    Pavement sucks... :grrrrrr:

1994 K1500 4x4 Ext. Cab
    PCM chip and Xenon 8000k bulbs
    350cu.in bored over .050"
    balanced Crank, 10:1 compression
    Flat top pistons,cam,ported heads
    Option Racing Cold Air Intake
    Holley Throttle Body Spacer
    Accell Igition, 45kv coil
    FloTech Headers, no CATs, dual exhuast
    Goodyear Silent Armor A/T 305/70-16
    Pioneer SupertunerIII CD USB Bluetooth
    Kicker ZX200.2 ZX Amp
    Kicker Audio COMP 10" Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by ejohnson03 View Post
    Change out the fuel filter.

Cheap item to test, if still running rough, your not out a lot of money.
    I agree with this suggestion! A lot of us have seen a dramatic improvement with just a filter change. Cheap fix, quick to do, needs to be done every couple years, anyway!

In addition, I would hook a scanner up to it and see what codes the PCM has stored.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

The running issue could be caused by a fuel filter, but that wouldn't make the coolant gurgle up into the overflow when he shuts the truck off.

Changed the filter. Still ran rough. Ended up changing the pump as well. Testing the fluid today for CO2. Fingers crossed....

Quote Originally Posted by 99buckshot View Post
    Changed the filter. Still ran rough. Ended up changing the pump as well. Testing the fluid today for CO2. Fingers crossed....
    That is the right test. I would also do a compression and leakdown test. One or two cylinders are probably dead due to head gasket failure or warped cylinder head.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by