GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Vortec6000 View Post

I would definitely agree that public fueling infrastructure is lacking, and also agree that as it gains in popularity, the cost of CNG fuel will go up as demand goes up, just as with anything else. However I would disagree that increased demand for this fuel would inflate gasoline prices...transportation fuels are a small portion of what is produced, and if gasoline demand drops, the price will drop as well, although the most significant factor of the price will be the cost of the feedstock...crude oil. Refineries can make produce a lot of different products from crude oil...if the demand for gasoline goes down, they just won't produce as much. They can reconfigure a refinery to produce a higher value product, or possibly export to somewhere in which the same product is more valuable.

I think CNG will continue be very slow gain popularity and although it is increasing, gasoline and diesel powered vehicles will still have the vast majority of the motor vehicle market for decades to come. There will be an increase in CNG vehicles on the road, but there will also be an increase in the others as well.

Isn't Grand Prairie pretty near Dallas? Not exactly sure how far but I know Dallas has quite a few CNG stations. If I remember right, California has the most of any state in the USA, with Oklahoma taking 2nd place (where I live). Beyond that I'm not sure. I figure probably Texas. But if you don't have a CNG station in your city (or within a few miles) or is not on your daily travel route, or if you don't have one in your home, then I definitely agree that it will not make much sense for you to keep the vehicle as too significant a portion of the fuel you buy is burned on transporting you to/from the fueling station.

Nic
    I was basing the idea gasoline prices would rise off of two factors:
    #1 big oil companies wont allow anyone to mess with their profit margin, even the U.S. Govt. hasnt been able to control Big oil in that respect. They shut congress down everytime congress starts to question their profit margins. Most of that is probably due to the fact that a majority of representatives have had their hand in the pocket of big oil for campaign contributions at one time or another. Less fuel sales would be less profit and I believe they will go to the consumer to make it up somehow.
    #2 everytime prices rise gasoline use declines and when questioned about it oil companies use the excuse that declining gasoline sales caused them to raise prices, kinda like a dog chasing it's tail.
    My fear is if CNG use gets a foot hold and beats out oil use it could follow the trend that oil has set over the last 100+ years.

Yea were not far from Dallas, the closest CNG station to me is about 21 miles away in a direction I rarely travel, the truck I was using CNG in wasnt street legal so a trip to refill involved getting the truck on the trailer, hauling it through Dallas traffic, then back. I dont go into Dallas unless I have to so it became to big of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridyn View Post
    Well, I'm not too educated on CNP fuels however the other more popular hybrids have been shown to leave just about the same amount of carbon in the air as regular none hybrids. Not exactly too familiar with the research they did, but i was reading an article where they did a year test on some hybrids and such.
    My educated guess is that all other things equal, it doesn't matter if it's a hybrid or solely an internal combustion engine; if both vehicles burn one gallon of gasoline, they're going to have the same amount of carbon leave the pipe. That said, not all things are equal, two vehicles' engines may burn a little differently and perhaps the mechanical energy produced is the same but one may do a more thorough job of burning everything. CNG (Methane is something around 99%+ of the composition of it, although there will be traces of other gasses, odorant, etc) is still going to produce carbon emissions, although I haven't memorized the chemical formulas so from a carbon emissions standpoint, I can't tell you how much less it will have than an equivalent gasoline burn. But gasoline has other additives not present in CNG, so there are other things that will not be emitted from a CNG burn.

Maybe that article was comparing a 40mpg hybrid to a 40mpg non-hybrid in which case I would expect the emissions to be essentially the same. I could be wrong, though. If comparing a 40mpg hybrid to an 80mpg non-hybrid (if such a thing existed), I would expect the non-hybrid to have less carbon emissions than the hybrid. Basic math to me. If you have a link to it, I wouldn't mind reading it

Thanks!

Nic
    Last edited by Vortec6000; 04-20-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    2002 Silverado 2500 2x4 Dedicated CNG, Bone Stock, 142000 miles
    1996 Caprice with WX3 Option (sometimes referred to as Impala SS), Dedicated Gasoline, 175-200k ish miles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12