GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default V6 vortec problems

Hi all

I've got a 90 Silverado steps side with a Texas stagecoach kit on it. It was imported into the uk in the 90's and has been in my family since 2000 and with me since 2009.

A valve burnt out back in January and we decided to replace the v6 with another vortec. Thing is we can't find another one in this country. We bought one from a 96 blazer but pretty much everything was totally different including the inlet manifold. My dads got a 93 day van with a 4.3 v6 in it but that's not going spare but is there much chance it's going to be the same as the one in my truck. We even thought about putting a v8 in it but that could cost a couple of grand plus I like my manual v6. It's something a little different.

Please help as I am now driving a 92 Saab 900 :(

Stephanie x

Sr. Apprentice

When you say "we decided to replace the v6 with another Vortec", are you saying it had a 4.3L Vortec V6 in it when you purchased it, or you put one in? Vortec engines were not available until 1996. It sounds like you're under the impression that all 4.3L are Vortec motors, because you commented that the '96 4.3L donor motor is completely different.

If its a pre-1996 4.3L your 4.3L is a plain-jane 90 degree V6, which is really a 350 V8 with two cylinders chopped off; the bore and stroke is the same. You can swap in the 4.3L Vortec along with the computer and the engine wiring harness --- or you can use a plain-jane 4.3L and swap in some Vortec heads -- and keep your stock computer and harness.
    My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes.

Hi Strino

Thank you so much for your answer. It's cleared a lot up for us!

We've always been told that its a vortec engine which is a v8 with 2 cylinders cut off not that they are 2 different beasts! Go figure

We are now looking for the right engine and hopefully it wont be too hard to find! Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your help

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by silverado90 View Post
    Hi Strino

Thank you so much for your answer. It's cleared a lot up for us!

We've always been told that its a vortec engine which is a v8 with 2 cylinders cut off not that they are 2 different beasts! Go figure

We are now looking for the right engine and hopefully it wont be too hard to find! Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your help

Glad I could help you. You're not wrong in what you said though. Both the Vortec and non-Vortec 4.3L blocks have the same bore and stroke as a 350. 4.00" Bore and 3.48" stroke. Some, but not all of the parts on a 350 will swap over to a 4.3. The Vortec has improved cylinder head and intake designs. You're able to swap the heads and intake on a non-Vortec for a nice little performance upgrade without having to swap over all sorts of crazy electronics.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Strino78

Glad I could help you. You're not wrong in what you said though. Both the Vortec and non-Vortec 4.3L blocks have the same bore and stroke as a 350. 4.00" Bore and 3.48" stroke. Some, but not all of the parts on a 350 will swap over to a 4.3. The Vortec has improved cylinder head and intake designs. You're able to swap the heads and intake on a non-Vortec for a nice little performance upgrade without having to swap over all sorts of crazy electronics.

Hope this helps.
    That throws up a couple more questions. We bought a vortec and nothing seemed like it would fit. The sensor positions were all wrong the fly wheel (???) was different and it looked like a totally different engine.

At least we know now and that's fab as we can stop looking at the wrong engines and bits now!

Next question: does anyone have a brand new crate motor already in the uk they want to sell?

No?? ..........didn't think so x

Quote Originally Posted by Strino78 View Post
    When you say "we decided to replace the v6 with another Vortec", are you saying it had a 4.3L Vortec V6 in it when you purchased it, or you put one in? Vortec engines were not available until 1996. It sounds like you're under the impression that all 4.3L are Vortec motors, because you commented that the '96 4.3L donor motor is completely different.

If its a pre-1996 4.3L your 4.3L is a plain-jane 90 degree V6, which is really a 350 V8 with two cylinders chopped off; the bore and stroke is the same. You can swap in the 4.3L Vortec along with the computer and the engine wiring harness --- or you can use a plain-jane 4.3L and swap in some Vortec heads -- and keep your stock computer and harness.
    Not true! The L35 4.3L used between 1992 and 1995 was also labeled as the Vortec. It was optional in the S-10, S-10 Blazer, and the Astro Vans, and never in the fullsize trucks. It put out 190-200 hp and 260 lb-tq. you can identify it by its intake manifold which has Vortec down the center.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Legend

^^right the vortec labeled motors made their debut in the blazer, but I think what he meant was no vortec was available in a CK series until 19996 which is true, till then they were all TBI motors
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    ^^right the vortec labeled motors made their debut in the blazer, but I think what he meant was no vortec was available in a CK series until 19996 which is true, till then they were all TBI motors
    Yes, thank you. The OPs vehicle is a '90 Silverado. It never had an option for a Vortec.